Fraternity revives ‘Frat Attack’

By Darius Parker

DeKALB | Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.’s annual “Frat Attack” competition returns after a four-year hiatus. The men of Phi Beta Sigma will host their step competition Friday.

“Frat Attack” is a competition unlike any other on NIU’s campus as the members of the National Panhellenic Council compete and highlight their step and stroll routines. The competition allows sororities to learn, execute and compete against each other in a stroll-off.

Chris Orange, junior kinesiology major and president of Phi Beta Sigma, said this is his first big event as president and that he hopes the campus enjoys the competition.

“Preparing for the competition has been overwhelming and a tremendous amount of work,” Orange said. “I see it coming together now, and it feels really good to see the work I put in for it. I’m feeling really proud of it, and I can’t wait to show the campus what we have in store for them because we have a nice show set up.”

“Frat Attack” will be judged by previous members of the Divine Nine organizations, some of which attended NIU. Orange said he and the other members of the chapter wanted to make sure there was a generation gap between the competing Greeks and the Greeks that will judge the competition. He said this will help prevent suspicion of favoritism when winners are selected.

The competing sororities include Alpha Kappa Alpha, Zeta Phi Beta and Sigma Gamma Rho to name a few. The competing fraternities are Alpha Phi Alpha, Omega Psi Phi and members of Phi Beta Sigma from Chicago State who will be visiting to compete as well.

Graduate sociology student Christopher Jean said he’s excited to see his chapter perform and wants the audience to get a sense of Greek unity.

“I feel like unity is something that we’ve been lacking on this campus,” Jean said. “This is a competition, but it’s a friendly competition and [there’s] no harm in coming together and having some fun.”

Senior engineering major Rashad Funches said the event is necessary for NIU’s campus because it helps people get to know the members of the organizations better.

“It shows people that outside of us putting on programs and doing community service, we can also have a good time and put on something for the campus,” Funches said.

Right after “Frat Attack,” Phi Beta Sigma will host an after party at the NIU Convocation Center. Tickets for the “Blue Light District” after-party are on sale at the Convocation Center and online at niutickets.org.