Veterans react to Trump’s victory

By Clarissa Hinshaw

Student veterans hold a variety of reactions to the election ranging from excitement, surprise and disappointment.

Veteran’s Day also gives student veterans a chance to reflect on America and its politics. The Tuesday presidential has attributed a variety of responses from students. President-elect Donald Trump was elected over Secretary Hillary Clinton. Republicans also gained majority over Congress and will likely gain majority over the Supreme Court with Trump appointing a new nominee.

Jesus Arteaga

Jesus Arteaga, senior public health major and president of the NIU Veteran’s Association, spent eight years in the Navy and went on four deployments.

“Trump won fair and square. People can move on and still have their voices hear,” Arteaga said.

Arteaga said he was not a big fan of either candidate in this presidential election and favored former Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson. He said he thinks America will change with a Trump presidency but is hoping for good things to happen.

Arteaga is hopeful America will change with all branches being one party and doesn’t have much fear of a Trump presidency.

“I’m always looking forward to seeing what each candidate elected is going to do about the [Veteran’s Affairs] system,” said Arteaga. “There are 22 veterans a day committing suicide. Hopefully there are policies in place to help prevent that.”

Arteaga is hopeful that progress will be made to help veterans. He believes most presidents have cared about veterans and does not worry about things getting worse with a Trump presidency.

Nicholas Ferry

Nicholas Ferry, junior geology major, was a Marine for four years and left in 2012 before coming to NIU.

“Not everything is as bad as you fear, and not everything is as good as you hope for,” Ferry said.

Ferry said he was shocked by the outcome of the election because he was expecting Clinton to win.

“It’s hard to believe that these two people are [the] best candidates,” Ferry said.“I was preparing mentally for Hillary, and I was honestly shocked that Trump won and how much he won by. I’m trying to mentally focus on the Trump [administration], so it’s kind of shocking.”

Ferry said he does not support Trump and understands why people are angry but hopes America can come together and be united. He said he is hopeful the government will now have a united economic plan and the economy will grow. Ferry said he supports background checks for gun owners and the legalization for medical marijuana.

Ferry hopes Trump will nominate moderate justices for the Supreme Court and that term limits will be placed on members of Congress to bring about new ideas.

Ferry is concerned about how 20 million Americans will be affected by losing their health insurance because of possibly repealing the Affordable Care Act. Despite these concerns, Ferry remains positive.

Justin Moore

Justin Moore, graduate geology student, became a commissioned officer in the Air Force in 2004 and served for four years.

Moore has mixed feelings about Veteran’s Day because of politics but tries to put those feelings aside to honor others.

“As I was watching the numbers come in [from the election] Tuesday night, I was confused,” Moore said. “I consider politics and current events somewhat of a hobby. The next morning, [I felt] shock, sadness, fear [and] many emotions wrapped into the state of shock.”

Moore said he is concerned about Trump becoming president and disagrees with Trump’s stances on many issues. He hopes Trump and Congress will be wise in selecting a Supreme Court justice that represents the American people and will improve veteran policies, but his expectations are low.

Moore said Trump may be able to bring back working class jobs in the short term, but the working class will be hurt financially in the long term. He said he is concerned about Trump’s extreme stances on climate change, immigration and Syrian refugees.