Graham coming along in starting role

Redshirt freshman quarterback Ryan Graham scrambles in Wednesday’s game against Western Michigan. He went 11-23 with 158 yards and two touchdowns to help lead the Huskies to their sixth straight win.

By Thomas Hiley III

Redshirt freshman Ryan Graham took over as quarterback for the Huskies earlier this year after a season-ending injury to junior Drew Hare, and has gone 2-0 in his first two starts.

Graham went 9-12 for 132 yards and scored a touchdown in two quarters in a Nov. 3 game against Toledo. He has gone 26-47 for 348 yards, four touchdowns and two interceptions since.

“I think he’s getting more comfortable as we go, but it’s certainly not like he has a ton of experience now under his belt,” said head coach Rod Carey, according to a Wednesday Northern Star article. “He’s certainly still progressing there. I think … your biggest jump is always after your first game into your second when you see that much improvement. I think we’ll see some of that improvement with Ryan, too.”

The Huskies will look to continue their six-game winning streak this week as they face off against Ohio at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Huskie Stadium.

Q: How has it been knowing that you’re the starter for the team, and is there more in terms of preparation that goes with it?

A: It’s exciting for me. I now get the reps with the ones. I usually get the reps with the twos, but my mindset [now] is knowing that I’m going to play. As a backup, I didn’t know whether I was going to play.

Q: What was the game plan heading into Western Michigan?

A: We were going to continue doing the things we do. A lot of jet runs, a lot of passes off that. We were going to run the ball, and we were able to do that.

Q: Was there any pressure for you to come out on top against the Broncos?

A: There is pressure on every game to win, but you can’t have the pressure out way the pleasure. You have to have fun out there.

Q: What has Coach Carey done to get you prepared for the upcoming weeks?

A: It’s the same thing we have always done from the beginning. It’s all about the little details. He’a always parking on that, and it’s the truth that that’s how you win games.

Q: What has Hare done specifically to help you get prepared since his injury?

A: He helped lead me through all the things that he had to go through. He’s a great example for me, and he’s showed me the ways on how he did it, and I’m doing it the way he did.

Q: You struggled passing the ball against Western Michigan. What kept you poised and confident on your throws?

A: With the wind out there, it was very windy, but it’s all about the next play. You can’t get too down on the previous play or too excited about the previous play.

Q: When Western Michigan scored on that 72-yard touchdown pass to Corey Davis, what was going through your mind?

A: I knew we had to come back and score. I believe we were down at that point, but I said to the offense, ‘we have to score here,’ and we were able to do that.

Q: Your running game was very stout against Western Michigan. What can you say about how your backs preformed?

A: Our backs are amazing, but it all comes down to our offensive line, though. Our offensive line gets the holes, and our offensive line is the one that settles the line of scrimmage, and our backs just run right through it.

Q: What’s your relationship with Davis? How was it playing against him?

A: He’s my brother. It was a blessing being on the same field as him. I’m really proud of him, and I know he’s proud of me too — but one of us had to lose, and one had to win. It was fun for us.

Q: You’re first in the MAC West following your last win. How does it feel being a freshman and seeing your contribution to get the Huskies here?

A: It’s an honor. The coaches put me in a great place to perform each week, and I just had to go out there and execute the game plan. I have a great team behind me.