A Day Without Shoes

By Vincent Dhan

Engineers Without Borders Student Chapter of Northern Illinois University (NIUEWB) will be conducting “A Day Without Shoes” shoe drive on Thursday October 4, 2012 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Please bring all shoes new and used, no matter the condition, to Martin Luther King Commons at Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois, 60115. This area is located between the Holmes Student Center and Library. The purpose of this shoe drive is to raise awareness about everyday necessities that are lacking in the developing areas of Africa and to raise money for this organization. The shoes will be sent to TOMS and they will send the shoes to the children in Africa so they can use them. The money raised helps bring in funds so that the students of NIUEWB can go on implementation trips to help improve the school located in Nyegina, Tanzania. In the past the drive has been very successful and local businesses Kohl’s and Famous Footwear have participated in the drive. NIUEWB is currently working on two international projects. One is providing solar power and solar powered machines to a Secondary Catholic School in Nyegina, Tanzania. They also will be making improvements to devices that are already at the school. The other is partnering with ICATIS in Guajuato, Mexico identifying methods of reducing toxic chemicals in the drinking water supply. Please bring your used or new shoes out to A Day Without Shoes in the MLK commons on October 4, 2012 from 8 a.m. to 4p.m. and help raise awareness and support Engineers Without Borders Student Chapter of Northern Illinois University. Visit our website http://www.niuewb.com