Breaking Down the Broncos

By Frank Gogola

Football clashes with the surging Western Michigan Broncos in a game it needs to win to advance to the MAC Championship game. The Huskies (9-2, 6-1 MAC) will take on the Broncos (8-3, 6-1 MAC) 10 a.m. Friday at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo, Mich. Sports Editor Frank Gogola breaks down the Broncos.

Quarterback: Zach Terrell

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Zach Terrell has been a guiding force for the Broncos’ offense in his first full season at the helm. Terrell leads the MAC in pass efficiency with an efficiency rating of 170.8 and a completion percentage of 70 percent. He has thrown for 262.7 passing yards per game while tossing 22 interceptions and having been picked off only eight times. While more of a pocket-passing quarterback, Terrell can scramble out of the pocket when he needs to. His 22 rushing yards rank third on the Broncos and his three rushing touchdowns rank second.

Running Back: Jarvion Franklin

Freshman running back Jarvion Franklin has exploded onto the scene and taken the MAC by storm in his first collegiate season. Franklin has rushed for a MAC-best 23 touchdowns in 11 games; NIU tailback Cameron Stingily ranks second with 11 rushing touchdowns. Franklin has racked up 1,433 rushing yards, and his 130.3 rushing yards per game ranks second in the conference. His best game came Sept. 13 against the Idaho Vandals when he ran for 211 yards and three touchdowns. He’s rushed for three touchdowns in one game on six occasions this season.

Wide Receiver: Corey Davis

Sophomore wide receiver Corey Davis has avoided the dreaded sophomore slump in his second season in Kalamazoo. Davis pulled in 67 receptions for 941 yards and six touchdowns in 10 games during his first season as he was named MAC Freshman of the Year. In 10 games this season he has hauled in 65 receptions for 1,173 receiving yards and 11 receiving touchdowns, which rank No. 1 in the conference. Davis is Terrell’s go-to guy, but the Broncos will target Daniel Braverman if the Huskies can negate Davis in the passing game.

Offensive Line: Jon Hoffing

Senior offensive lineman Jon Hoffing helps anchor an offensive line that includes four upperclassmen and one redshirt sophomore. The offensive line has been instrumental in helping the Broncos rank third in the MAC with 186.5 rushing yards per game and fourth in the conference with 265.6 passing yards per game. The group has allowed its quarterback to be sacked only 16 times, which ranks fifth in the MAC. The Broncos’ offensive line will have its hands full with the Huskies, whose 22 sacks this season ranks tied for fourth in the conference.

Defensive Line: Cleveland Smith

Junior defensive tackle Cleveland Smith has nestled himself in opposing teams’ backfield this season. Smith leads all Western Michigan defensive linemen with 7.5 tackles for loss and paces all Broncos with 5.5 sacks in 10 games. As the line’s anchor he has only recorded 19 total tackles, but he added to his resume with three quarterback hurries, one pass breakup and one fumble recovery. Smith and the rest of the defensive line will have a tough time getting to redshirt sophomore quarterback Drew Hare in the backfield as he’s been sacked only nine times in 11 games this season.

Linebacker: Grant DePalma

Junior linebacker Grant DePalma has quietly put together a superb season for the Broncos. DePalma walked on with the Broncos in 2013 but saw time primarily on the defensive scout team after playing two seasons at the junior college level. He has shown his range and athleticism, pacing the Broncos’ defense with 91 total tackles, 51 of which were solo stops. He has also shown his ability to be a disruptive force in getting into the backfield, recording a team-high eight tackles for loss and tacking on 2.5 sacks and one quarterback hurry in his first season as a starter.

Secondary: Donald Celiscar

Senior cornerback Donald Celiscar is arguably the Broncos’ most prolific playmaker on defense. Celiscar puts himself in positions to make plays on the ball as he is tied for the team lead with 16 pass breakups and four interceptions. He is known to primarily cover the offense’s No. 1 receiver, which in NIU’s case means redshirt senior Da’Ron Brown. Celiscar has also proven himself more than proficient at tackling with 58 total tackles, which ranks fourth on the team. He simply has a nose for the ball and has also tacked on one sack, one forced fumble and one blocked kick.

Special Teams: Andrew Haldeman

Kicking has been a bit of a sore spot for the Broncos this season, but junior kicker Andrew Haldeman has turned the tide in the last five games. In that stretch Haldeman has made all six of the field goals he’s attempted. He’s 11-14 on field goal attempts this season, but his longest field goal is only 36 yards, and he’s had one kick block. On extra points he’s been slightly off, making 47 of his 51 extra point attempts. If the game comes down to field goals NIU’s Christian Hagan has proven himself accurate although his long is only 37 yards.