Austin excels with emphasis on volleyball

By Rhema Rhea

Volleyball is off to its best conference start since 1997, and sophomore outside hitter T’ara Austin’s insertion into the starting lineup has been a key piece to the team’s early MAC wins.

During the Huskies’ recent three-game conference homestand, Austin totaled 26 spikes and 27 digs. The Joliet Central High School product said she continues to find her footing.

“I feel like every match I gain more confidence,” Austin said. “I feel more comfortable on the court with everybody, especially [Alexis] ‘Pookie’ [Gonzalez]; the setter chemistry has to be there. So, I feel every game I stepped it up a little bit more. So, I’m hoping to keep it up.”

Austin did not have the opportunity to get on the court much during her first season with the Huskies due to a combination of a hip injury and learning a system and position, along with the lack of confidence necessary to excel at the college level.

But, head coach Ray Gooden has felt Austin has continued to step up her game since key spike specialist and 2013 freshman All-MAC performer Mary Grace Kelly went down with an injury before MAC play.

“I think [Austin] has continued to grow and do some really good things,” Gooden said. “I feel like we have a core of hitters that when called upon can do a really good job, and she’s been called upon [in] these … matches in conference. She’s not a backup. She’s just as capable as everybody else, so whenever she gets the opportunity she’s taken full advantage of it and has done a real good job for our group.”

Austin’s parents, William and Tonta Austin, were multi-sport athletes when they attended high school but wanted their daughter to focus her attention on volleyball.

“My mom and my dad wanted me to be strict on one thing because they wanted me to play in college,” Austin said. “They wanted me to have my focus on one sport. … I had the option of cheerleading volleyball and basketball, but I choose volleyball because I knew it was something I loved and knew I had a shot at playing at a high level in college.”

In two of her last four matches Austin tied or set her career high in kills, including the career-high 12-kill, 10-dig, .333-attack percentage performance she put forth Thursday against Western Michigan.

Austin is hoping her recent big play and quality court time will continue as the season progresses.

“… I think sophomore year Ray [Gooden] has given me a lot of chances, and I’m hopefully giving him confidence in me as well,” Austin said. “Sophomore year, I’m looking forward to playing more and hopefully getting a spot at the starting position.”