Record executive will share experience at Diversity Day

By Ryan Nickel

Students can learn about entrepreneurship, leadership development and career readiness from a record and brand marketing executive at Diversity Day.

Check-in for the event is 9:30 a.m. Saturday in the Holmes Student Center. Amir Windom, who has worked with artists Trey Songz, Kanye West, T.I., Lupe Fiasco and B.o.B., will speak 1 to 2 p.m. in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

Participants will also hear from Eric Weldy, vice president of student Affairs and Enrollment Management, and Ted Campbell, Undergraduate Admissions assistant director, and participate in workshops.

“Having Amir Windom as the keynote speaker makes the event a fun program to learn about the background of the recording industry as well as be able to listen to someone who’s actually successful,” Campbell said.

Campbell said he hopes students will leave the event understanding NIU is a diverse campus.

“He will be speaking about intimate experiences, knowledge and guidance about being a young executive and the challenges faced,” Campbell said.

Freshman audiology major Basil Arain said Windom will be a good speaker for the event.

“Since he’s helped so many people who came from different places and backgrounds, he’d be the perfect guy to help students here at NIU from different backgrounds,” Arain said.

Jacob Moore, sophomore biology, psychology and kinesiology major, said he would attend the event for the chance to learn from someone successful.

“It’s important that students go because then students will be able to understand what diversity is and that you can become successful,” Moore said.

After the event, guests may participate in residence hall tours.

For more information, go to niu.edu/admissions/diversity.