Freshman ready for gymnastics start

By Steve Shonder

It’s unusual for a team to gain so much from a freshmen class in the preseason, but that’s what’s happening for gymnastics.

The Huskies have found themselves in the enviable position of being one of the deepest teams in the MAC thanks to talented group of freshmen. The arrival of the gymnasts has sparked a strong intra-team competition and solidified the roster for a team that expects to make a run at the MAC Championship.

The freshmen have been impressive in practice and intra-squad meets since they arrived, and head coach Sam Morreale expects them to make an immediate impact in the regular season.

“I expect the freshman to crack the rotations,” Morreale said. “For us, it’s the best six kids [who will start]. If the freshmen can get up and starting showing that they can do that then we’re going to give them a shot.”

Several members of the class look ready to start as soon as the Huskies’ first meet. Courtney Dowdell has been impressive on uneven bars, while walk-on Jamyra Carter has done well in multiple events.

The increase in depth has given the Huskies a more competitive edge within practices, an edge they hope will translate into wins throughout the season.

Junior Amanda Stepp believes their performances in practice helps the whole team get better.

“They push all of us,” Stepp said. “They help us because they push the people above them to do better, so then we’re all fighting for spots.”

Ordinarily the freshmen would be on a learning curve during their first season, but their immediate impact has the team expecting more from them.

“The freshmen came in and held their own,” Morreale said. “They’re buying into what the rest of the group is doing as far as trying to be calm, cool and [collected]. The [learning curve] is shortened, but the ceiling becomes higher.”

With more than a month until the first regular season meet, it’s too early to set lineups, but it is fair to expect a few freshmen to be there. Whatever happens with the lineups, freshman Brittany Wenzel expects their impact to be big.

“We have a lot of freshmen that can make lineup,” Wenzel said. “We have a lot of talent as freshmen, and that will help the team.”

The freshmen, combined with the returning gymnasts, have turned the Huskies into a confident team that hopes to make history. Morreale believes this could be one of the best NIU gymnastics teams.

“I honestly feel from a depth and skill level standpoint this could be one of the highest scoring Northern teams ever,” Morreale said. “They talk about breaking school records. We don’t want to be fourth again. They feel like they’re the best team in the MAC, so that’s where they want to be.”