RHA celebrates hard work of employees at party

By Kevin Steiger

The Residence Hall Association (RHA) gave students a chance to kick back with a party Thursday.

The party was one of several events being held as part of RHA week. The week gives students the opportunity to break away from their studies through activities. RHA week recognizes the commitment of the RHA staff for the hard work they put into their jobs, said RHA Communication Coordinator Carson Cross.

“It’s a celebration week of the organization and just a kickback week for people who live in the residents halls,” said Christopher Barnes, freshman business administration major.

During the Thursday party, students took part in activities like billiards, ping-pong and darts. Students also played air hockey and arcade games like Pac-Man and Galaga. Students who attended the party received RHA items like T-shirts and pens.

Kerri Winston, community adviser and sophomore psychology major, said she believes RHA week is a great way for students to take a breather from their schoolwork.

“RHA week brings more inclusiveness to the students and gives them a break from classes,” Winston said.

Other events the RHA hosted included Holiday Unity on Tuesday. The Campus Activities Board and Student Association promoted the holidays and displayed celebrations of cultural holidays from around the globe.

“Tuesday’s Holiday Unity event was to educate students on how people from different cultural background celebrate the holidays,” Cross said.

On Wednesday, the RHA hosted a dodgeball game for students at the Chick Evans Field House.

The last event of RHA week is a trip to the Bulls basketball game on Saturday in Chicago. Cross said only 25 students from the residence halls will be able to attend the trip to the game. The first students have already signed up. During the game, RHA will be recognized on the scoreboard and receive a free Bulls poster, Cross said. The RHA was able to afford the trip because NIU contributed $100,000 to its overall budget at the beginning of the semester, Cross said.