Two sport-related minors to be added in fall

(From left) Mikayla Voigt, women’s basketball sophomore guard, senior gymnast Megan Greenfield, Austin Pauga, sophomore men’s basketball guard and Hope Schmelzle, senior track and field runner were all named to the winter sports Distinguished Scholar-Athlete team. NIU gave 14 student-athletes the award. 

By Elisa Reamer

DeKalb The College of Education and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will be offering new minors starting Fall 2021 for students interested in careers within the sporting industry. The minors are sport analytics and sport journalism. 

Both of the minors are available for all university students. Students wanting to pursue a minor in sport journalism need to contact the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education.

The sport analytics minor is targeted towards students interested in pursuing a career in sport analytics or data analysis. There is increasing demand for individuals in data analytics for organizational decision making in sports, according to the NIU website. 

The sport journalism minor will have a major emphasis on developing journalism, writing and public relation skills in media within the sporting industry. Students obtaining this minor will get specific training relevant to sport journalism and media, according to the NIU website

A minor in sport analytics will require students to take 18 to 21 credits in the required courses provided on the NIU website

A minor in sport journalism will require students to take 18 credits in the required courses provided on the NIU website

These minors are offered so NIU students can receive more transdisciplinary opportunities, said Todd Gilson, Professor and chair of the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education.