Cooking is a skill everyone should have

Eating+out+is+expensive+and+can+lead+to+unhealthy+eating+habits.+Cooking+is+a+skill+that+everyone+should+learn.+

Getty Images

Eating out is expensive and can lead to unhealthy eating habits. Cooking is a skill that everyone should learn.

By Ally Formeller

Restaurants are expensive. A trip to McDonald’s one night, then to Chipotle the next and then to Domino’s over the weekend adds up. Boiling Maruchan ramen or putting a frozen pizza in the oven is decidedly less expensive, but it’s also unhealthy. 

Knowing how to cook is an important life skill that students should take to heart as they prepare for their futures.

Most students are on a tight budget, and while it might not seem like it, cooking is ultimately less expensive than getting fast food all the time. Sure, looking at the price tags for chicken or fresh produce compared to dollar menus and coupon codes, cooking seems overrated and totally not worth it. But there’s more to it than just saving money. 

Lower competence in cooking can lead to more unhealthy eating habits, according to a study published in the International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity.

Fast food is typically cooked in grease, which, in excess, can contribute to heart disease, strokes and other diseases

Having proficient cooking skills affects your overall health — it’s no surprise that eating too much fast food isn’t good for you. But cooking can also help you experience the world.

Food is an undeniably important part of culture, from what utensils are used to where ingredients are sourced from. Cooking and eating food from around the world allows students to step out of their comfort zone and try something new.

But that’s the good thing about being the head chef in your own kitchen — you get to choose what dishes you make and how to make them. Even “authentic” dishes don’t really have to be authentic. You just have to make them how you like them.

And there are tons of resources to learn how to cook. From YouTube cooking channels, old family recipes or a thrifted cookbook, students can discover new recipes in the most comfortable setting — their own kitchen. 

Without learning how to cook, students are not only missing out on an important life skill but also a way to explore new flavors, cultures and a way to explore their independence.