Wrestling wins two of three at Huskie Duals

NIU takes home victories over MAC rival Kent State University and Harper College.

Jarrett Huff | Northern Star

Then-redshirt sophomore Brit Wilson grapples with his opponent March 7, 2021 during his Semifinal match at the 2020 MAC Wrestling Championships at the NIU Convocation Center.

By Carlos Finney Jr., Sports Reporter

DeKALB — The NIU wrestling team went 2-1 Saturday at the Huskie Duals as they hosted Kent State University, Harper University and South Dakota State University.

The Huskies began the day with a victory over Mid-American Conference rival Kent State. The Huskies started off slow, losing the first three out of four matches. Redshirt junior Anthony Gibson shifted the momentum in the Huskies’ favor with a 9-4 victory over freshman Enrigue Munguia of Kent State that would spark the Huskies to win the next four matches.

NIU trailed 9-6 before redshirt junior Izzak Olejnik put them in the lead by defeating freshman Najee Locket of Kent State 10-2. Redshirt senior Mason Kauffman followed with a 6-5 win over sophomore Michael Ferree of Kent State. Redshirt senior Brit Wilson and redshirt junior Terrese Aaron would go on to win their matches as well, giving the Huskies the 20-12 win.

NIU then faced Harper College in the second dual. NIU took eight of the ten matches with the biggest win coming from Wilson. Wilson’s first period pin of Harper sophomore Ethan Shedbalker marked his 100th career victory as a Huskie.

After a milestone win from Wilson, Olejnik pinned junior Aaron Taylor in a dominating win for the Huskies, defeating Harper College 42-6.

Wilson and Olejnik won their respective matches in NIU’s final dual against South Dakota State to go undefeated for the day. Gibson was the only other Huskie to win a matchup as South Dakota State won the other seven out of ten, leading to a final score of 26-9 in South Dakota State’s favor.

The Huskies return to action on Dec. 29 when they compete in a two day event, the prestigious Midlands Championships in Hoffman Estates.