Gymnastics topples Bowling Green in conference opener

NIU earned its first victory of the season after outscoring Bowling Green 195.075 to 194.575.

Courtesy of NIU Athletics

Head gymnastics coach Sam Morreale talks to his team during a meet in the 2021 season.

DeKALB —  NIU gymnastics knocked off the Bowling Green State University Falcons 195.075 to 194.575 Sunday at the Anderson Arena in Bowling Green, Ohio.

“We finally got a meet where we minimized mistakes and misses, with hits on all of our counting scores toward the team total which was awesome,” Morreale said. “We were able to rest some people today and I was super-proud of the kids that stepped in. We’ve talked about our depth since day one, and we saw it today.”

The Huskies went into the matchup having placed second in their past three meets and sought to right the ship and come out with a victory.

Senior Gabby Welch took second in vault with a score of 9.800, being beaten out only by BGSU junior Taylor Jensen with a score of 9.875. Freshman Emmalise Nock and junior Brooklyn Sears followed right behind Welch with scores of 9.775 and 9.700 respectively.

Sears, along with freshman Alana Anderson, scored a 9.800 on the uneven parallel bars to tie for first with BGSU junior Lily Harsch. Anderson also finished seventh in the floor exercise with a score of 9.800.

Senior Morgan Hooper scored a 9.825 on the balance team to take sole possession of first place while being trailed by freshman Ellery Werner, BGSU freshman Katrina Mendez Abolnik and Jensen for second with a score of 9.800.

The floor exercise was a heated battle between Jensen and Nock as they both finished tied for first place with a score of 9.925. Following behind them were Sears who took third with a career-best 9.875 and senior Tara Kofmehl with a 9.850 for fourth place.

Jensen finished the day on the all-around with a total of 39.350 to take the top spot. Sears and Hooper followed behind her with scores of 39.075 and 38.950. Rounding out the top four was BGSU freshman Kathryn Weilbacher with a score of 38.925.

NIU will be back in action for their first home meet at 6 p.m. Friday as they welcome Southeast Missouri State University, Lindenwood University and the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater to the Convocation Center.