Top 3 hangout spots on campus

Northern Star file photo

Columnist Angelina Padilla-Tompkins believes NIU can do more for their transfer students.

NIU is a big campus with a wide variety of clubs, activities, dining areas, etc. As much as students work hard to remain active on campus throughout the semester, it’s also important to highlight the areas on campus that are nice for relaxing or studying with friends. 

1.) Holmes Student Center, 340 Carroll Ave 

This is the spot that students probably visit most throughout the semester to relax and get some work done. The HSC is open every day of the week, Monday through Sunday from 7 a.m. to 12 a.m. The student center has many lounging areas throughout the building. It is also home to the Depot C-store and most notably the Huskie Den, where activities like bowling, arcade games and pool tables are available. 

2.) Founders Memorial Library, 217 Normal Rd

The Founders Memorial Library has a massive collection of books, and that’s an understatement. Home to many volumes, the university archives and other specialized collections. The library is a quieter setting, ideal for reading and studying. The library contains a computer lab along with several computer stations. On the lower level of the library, there is Einstein Bagel Bros which is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

3.) Neptune Central Fireplace Lounge, 770 Lucinda Ave

This is one of the coziest places on campus. The lounge houses a big fireplace that is warm and seemingly lit all the time. This is one of the biggest lounges in the residence halls and has comfortable couches and other seating. This is the ideal area for a nice card game or sitting back to relax with friends after a long day of classes and work.