Huskies win home opener behind two Arima goals

The+NIU+mens+soccer+team+celebrates+a+goal+in+the+first+half+of+their+3-0+victory+against+the+Marquette+University+Golden+Eagles+on+Sept.+10%2C+2021%2C+in+DeKalb.+

Courtesy of NIU Athletics

The NIU men’s soccer team celebrates a goal in the first half of their 3-0 victory against the Marquette University Golden Eagles on Sept. 10, 2021, in DeKalb.

DeKALB — The Huskies scored a late goal to defeat the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Panthers 3-2 in their home opener Monday.

Sophomore forward Taisei Arima scored most of the Huskies’ goals as he led the game with two goals.

“Taisei is getting better and is becoming a sharp player, “ head coach Ryan Swan said. “It is a lot of goals to come from him this year.”

Arima spoke on what the team needs to do to improve.

“We need to score more and close out games better,” Arima said.

The Huskies went into their first home game of the season, seizing a home victory.

The Huskies couldn’t handle the ball well to start the game, but Arima scored a goal at the 16:50 mark, putting the Huskies ahead 1-0.

It didn’t take long for Milwaukee to catch up as they scored a goal 50 seconds later. Panthers redshirt sophomore midfielder David Cox evened the score 1-1 to make it a fair game.

Arima put the Huskies ahead 2-1 after a corner kick. The Huskies were up at half, 2-1. Arima led the half with two goals.

Milwaukee went into the second half looking to even things out. Panthers sophomore forward Logan Farrington scored a goal at the 51:59 mark to tie the game up again for Milwaukee.

The Huskies’ bench was outraged after the refs missed a call on one of the Panthers players for hitting the ball with his hands to stop the Huskies from scoring.

The miss call didn’t affect the Huskies as freshman forward Taylor Davis scored with two minutes remaining, putting the Huskies up 3-2. The Huskies held off the Panthers to secure their second win of the season.

Davis spoke on how he felt after the team win.

“We were looking forward to this game and with the chances that we got we took advantage of it,” Davis said.

The Huskies will return to action at 7 p.m. Thursday as they take on Lindenwood University at home.