How to study like a main character

Getty Images

Listening to music or working at a café are ways to romanticize your studying habits.

By Sarah Rose, Assistant Lifestyle Editor

Romanticizing studying is about conceiving an aesthetic that makes doing schoolwork enjoyable, or at the least makes it bearable. 

Romanticizing is defined as the act of making an idea, thing or object seem more appealing than it actually is. To study more effectively, students can try romanticizing studying by turning on a playlist or by getting inspired by films or shows centered around academia. 

FIND YOUR IDEAL STUDY SPOT

Find a cozy, atmospheric space. Whether that be a dorm room, lounge area, library or cafe, think like the main character in a movie or book and become them. Don’t care what others think, light a candle while studying and turn on music that would suit your envisioned main character.

“We all have a different approach to studying so to find what works for you helps a lot,” said Brody Woods, a writing coach and mentor at the University Writing Center. “I make sure that when I’m sitting down to study, that’s what I’m doing. I don’t have my phone around me, I’m not sitting there taking phone calls from friends.” 

AVOID DISTRACTIONS AND STAY ORGANIZED

Studying without distractions is key to getting work done. Discipline comes before motivation. Mute those notifications and silence the room by slipping on a pair of headphones. Spotify is a good music app to find the perfect study playlists. Music can act as a form of escapism and imagining being somewhere else other than on campus may elicit an energetic, focused mood. 

“I find it helpful to find a spot where there is nobody else there, such as the fourth floor of the library…and I put my phone on silent and away from me,” said Angelina Jerantowski, a first-year chemistry major.

Organizing what schoolwork is going to be done each day saves time and stress. Creating a schedule allows for a clutter-free mindset. 

“The biggest thing that helped me was for me to be able to plan out when I’m going to study and what I’m going to study at that time,” Woods said. “That’s helped so much because I know when I start the day what the content is.”

STAY MOTIVATED

View studying in a positive light; the information that’s retained is a form of self-development. Challenge the brain and see how much it can learn in one study session. 

While creating challenges, find ways to reward yourself. Setting small goals such as “I get a bagel from Einstein Bros if I complete this chapter” or “I get a treat from Starbucks if I study for an hour” improves negative mindsets and may push someone to study harder and longer. 

“You have to find certain things throughout the day that help you be motivated to study,” Woods said. 

Once a productive, comfortable space is created, studying can become something to look forward to.