BOR to discuss heated issues

By Eric Krol

NIU’s proposed Student Life Center will be one of the hot topics discussed as NIU’s governing board hits town this week.

The Board of Regents will meet today and Thursday at the Holmes Student Center to discuss issues affecting NIU, Illinois State University at Normal and Sangamon State University at Springfield.

Several NIU student leaders have requested to speak before the Regents about the Center.

Student Association President Preston Came said he plans to speak on the proposed Student Life Center. “This is not the time for this university to be off building another student center,” Came said.

Mertes said he thinks the Student Life Center will be one of the prime topics at the meeting and plans to concur with the SA resolution against the building.

SA Treasurer Joe Kolerich and SA Speaker Michael Starzec also requested to speak before the Regents, he added.

In addition, the SA has planned a “Day of Mourning” at noon in the King Memorial Commons to decry the death of academic quality at NIU.

The Finance and Facilities Committee will meet at 1 p.m. in the Capitol Room of the HSC. Chancellor’s assistant Cheryl Peck said the two-item agenda includes a discussion of NIU’s proposed bond refinancing.

Eddie Williams, vice president of Finance and Planning, has said low interest rates make it favorable for NIU to restructure its bond package. The refinancing will kick up more money for NIU capital development projects.

NIU Student Regent James Mertes said he is not opposed to the refinancing but questioned whether the money raised actually will be used. About $6 million remains idle from the last refinancing in 1986, Mertes said.

The Academic and Student Affairs Committee will follow at 1:45 p.m. in HSC’s Heritage Room. Peck said the Regents will hear a report on two Illinois Board of Higher Education committees. The report on underserved areas should include discussion on NIU’s Hoffman Estates project, she said.

Peck said the committee also will hear a report on the Regency system project of recruiting minority transfer students from the City Colleges of Chicago.

The Personnel and Operations Committee will meet at 2:45 p.m. in the Capitol Room to discuss further bylaw revisions, Peck said.

The committee meetings are open to the public, as is the regular portion of the meeting, which will convene at 9 a.m. Thursday in the HSC Skyroom.