‘SNL’ cast members offer imperfect entertaining insights

Mingda Wu

Saturday Night Live cast members Michael Longfellow (left) and Devon Walker (right) showing the posture meaning “Go Huskies” as the reaction to the audience’s requirement in the last 20 minutes of the comedy show on Wednesday night at Boutell Memorial Concert Hall in the Music Building. (Mingda Wu | Northern Star)

By Eli Tecktiel, Lifestyle Writer

DeKALB – NIU students were treated to a memorable night of comedy on Wednesday, courtesy of new “Saturday Night Live” cast members Devon Walker and Michael Longfellow. 

The two up-and-coming comedians performed at the Boutell Memorial Concert Hall, located in NIU’s Music Building.

The performance began with the two playing a round of rock, paper, scissors to determine who would perform their solo stand-up set first. The game resulted in Longfellow taking the stage.

LONGFELLOW AND THE ART OF AWKWARD SILENCE

Longfellow’s set consisted of anecdotal and observational humor, peppered with his subtle but effective deadpan delivery. The “SNL” comedian covered a lot of ground, talking about everything from his early discovery of internet pornography to the variety of escapades he’s had with cannabis edibles. 

Though the observational aspects of Longfellow’s comedic style shine through, his sardonic delivery was often reminiscent of the late “SNL” alum Norm MacDonald in his ability to tell the most shocking and vulgar jokes in a nonchalant and almost endearing fashion.

Whether it’s part of his act or just his own personality, Longfellow demonstrated himself to be a master at the art of awkwardness. While the audience responded very warmly to most of his set, Longfellow’s biggest laughs came not from the jokes he told themselves, but from the jarring awkward silences he would frequently leave between them. 

To make matters even more awkward, Longfellow at one point singled out an audience member in the front row. He engaged with Daisy, a nursing student, in an uncomfortable but funny back-and-forth about her major and career path, utilizing that exchange to improvise observations about the healthcare industry. 

WALKER FINDS APPLAUSE WITH HUSKIE PRIDE

In contrast to Longfellow, Devon Walker displayed a much looser, more relaxed style. Walker’s set tended to lean more toward jokes and observations about society as a whole, rather than day-to-day life, tackling everything from race to gender and sexuality.

Walker also delved into the experiences he’s had with his newfound fame since he became a cast member on “SNL.” He discussed having dinner with actor Michael B. Jordan, strange interactions with old acquaintances and even being told he looks like former “SNL” cast member Pete Davidson.

During his set, Walker realized that shouting, “Go Huskies!” prompted a much livelier audience reaction than any of his jokes. He frequently repeated the phrase throughout the rest of his performance, receiving the same uproarious cheers each time.

After their individual stand-up sets, Longfellow and Walker spent about 20 minutes doing a Q&A with the audience. When asked who their biggest comedic influences were, the comedians both displayed their affection for Nickelodeon, with Longfellow citing “SpongeBob SquarePants” and Walker citing “Kenan and Kel.”

Though there were a few moments where it seemed like Longfellow and Walker didn’t have the same preparedness that they might if they were performing on a bigger stage, it was a fun, relaxed evening filled with laughter. If anything, the occasional lack of preparation made the performance feel more intimate and personal.

It was fascinating to see two well-known performers test out new material in a relatively small room of college students, even if not every single joke landed flawlessly.

Events like Wednesday’s performance highlight one of the best parts of being a college student. At a school like NIU, there’s seemingly an endless amount of events happening on campus. Outside of a college campus, it’s hard to imagine another situation in which one could see soul legend Mavis Staples and two “SNL” stars, respectively, in the span of five days.