That Time I… went to a concert in Chicago

Emily Beebe

The Chicago Skyline at night with the water in the foreground of the image.

By Emily Beebe, Assistant Editor

Last March, Big Time Rush announced that they were going on tour. My friend is a big fan of Big Time Rush, and she has never seen them in concert before. When I saw that they were going on tour and would make a stop in Chicago, I immediately bought tickets for me and my friend to go. 

The concert was in July and I was grateful that it was during summer break. My friend went to the same high school as me. My friend lives in Bloomington and works full time, so I don’t get to see her that often. I was glad that I got to go to this concert with her because you should do things that you enjoy. Some of those things might be a once in a lifetime experience. 

Up until this point, I had never stayed overnight in Chicago before. After I bought the tickets, my friend started looking at hotels. She was able to book a hotel, but when we got there, they told us that we had to find someone to help check us into the hotel, given that neither of us was 21.

I went to my friend’s house in Bloomington, because we took the train to Chicago, and there is a train station that runs through Bloomington. We took the train early in the morning, and once we got to Chicago, we walked to the hotel. 

The thought of asking a random person to help check us in to the hotel was terrifying both for me and my friend. Eventually we found a woman and her daughter in the street, and they were really kind and helped check us in. 

After we got checked in to the hotel, we went and walked around to different shops that were nearby the hotel. Then we went back to the hotel and my friend fell asleep for a few hours. I was also enrolled in summer classes at the time, so I had to do homework. 

Then around 6 p.m. that day, we walked to the concert venue. The concert was really amazing because they interacted with the audience. We went back to the hotel once the concert was over. 

The next day we woke up early in the morning and Taste of Chicago was going on, so my friend and I went to Taste of Chicago. This was the first time both my friend and I have gone to Taste of Chicago. It was really nice getting to explore all of the different food trucks.

After my friend and I went to Taste of Chicago, we took the train back to Bloomington. Overall, getting to spend time with my friend and getting to explore more of Chicago was a memorable experience.