Davis ties double-double record in victory over CMU

Nyla Owens

Senior forward A’Jah Davis (25) looks for an opening to pass the ball in the first half of the game on Jan. 25. (Nyla Owens | Northern Star)

By DeOndre Saunders, Sports Reporter

DeKALB – NIU senior forward A’Jah Davis shined on Senior Day as she tied the school record for double-doubles and led her team to an 84-80 double overtime win against Central Michigan University.

SENIOR DAY

NIU celebrated Senior Day to give recognition to its seniors. Graduate guard Janae Poisson, senior forward Emily Meinert, graduate forward Emma Carter and Davis were the four players honored on Saturday

Poisson said Senior Day means everything to her after being here since 2016. 

“To stick it out for seven years and go through the injuries, it means everything to make it, regardless how I played this season,” Poisson said. “I’m always going to remember today because this is what I fought for.”

Davis recorded her 50th double-double of her collegiate career. She recorded her double-double late in the second quarter with five minutes remaining and finished the game with 20 points and 19 rebounds. Davis is now tied with Tammy Hinchee for the record.

“My first game (at NIU) I had two points and six rebounds and I told myself if I can’t get the ball in I can get extra possessions for my teammates,”  Davis said. “That’s what I continue to do and I never thought I could break a record, but here we are now.”

Davis led all scorers at the half with 15 points and pulled down 13 rebounds. The Huskies were up at the half 38-29. 

DOUBLE OVERTIME

The Huskies went through a double overtime thriller that they almost lost control of. NIU’s biggest lead of the second half was early in the third quarter by 13, 40-33. The Huskies lost their lead and were down 67-65 with 1:13 remaining in the fourth quarter. Sophomore forward Laura Nickel hit two free throws late in the fourth to tie the game and send it into overtime. 

Junior guard Jayden Marable had huge contributions to the Huskies in the second half. She played 50 minutes and finished the game with 23 points. 

“Jayden played 50 minutes and she got better in minute 40-50,” NIU women’s basketball head coach Lisa Carlsen said. “I couldn’t be more proud of what she was able to do for us today.”

Meinert was also a great contributor with 14 points and seven rebounds. 

“That was probably her best game in a Huskies uniform,” Carlsen said. “She was able to compose herself and be a great version of herself.”

Chippewas freshman forward Sydney Harris fought hard for her team as she had 24 points in the second half. She finished the game with 31 points. 

CMU couldn’t capitalize in overtime and NIU won 84-80. 

MOVING UP AND LOOKING FORWARD

NIU’s overall record is 15-12 and sits in sixth place with a record of 7-9 in the Mid-American Conference. CMU has a 4-12 record in the MAC and their overall record is 6-21. 

The Huskies remain home as they play their last home game of the season at 6 p.m. Wednesday against the Eastern Michigan University Eagles. Live statistics for the game will be available on Sidearm Sports.