SGA now requires senators to write legislation

Michael Mollsen

Student Government Association Senators Dallas Douglass (left) and Chris English addressing other SGA senators. During the Feb. 24 meeting, the SGA approved legislation that requires all senators to pass at least one piece of legislation during their term. (Michael Mollsen | Northern Star)

By Michael Mollsen, Written Managing Editor

DeKALB – A bill was passed requiring Student Government Association senators to create one piece of legislation during their term in senate.

“The duties and responsibilities of the senators do not include anything that shows that they have demonstrated outreach,” Deputy Speaker Debbie Allen said. “There was a lot of questions on what a piece of legislation looks like, and I’d really like to see everyone be able to participate in that role of student government outside of just voting.”

The bill, authored by Allen and Historian Atlas Babcock, was examined by the senate pertaining to the number of senators who may work on one piece of legislation. It was decided that one piece of legislation, at the speaker’s discretion, could be worked on collaboratively and counted as the senator’s bill writing requirement for their term.

“From discussing with students today at the snacks with SGA event, which only a few of you (senators) showed up to, I kind of gained perspective on what the average student thinks about SGA, and they don’t see us as a resource,” Chairperson Princess Rodgers said. “They don’t see us as people who can actually affect change here because a lot of the time it’s just voting and there’s no actual initiative being taken by all of us.”

After examination, the bill passed with a 92% majority. It will go into effect immediately.

A resolution to grant official recognition to four student organizations was also approved.

The organizations approved were the History Graduate Student Association, the Graduate Arts Association, the Women and Gender Advocacy Alliance and WeCare4NIU. The senate voted a majority 80% for the approval.

SGA meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. Fridays, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.