NIU football releases full 2023 schedule

Mingda Wu

NIU redshirt senior tight end Liam Soraghan turns upfield after catching a pass from freshman quarterback Nevan Cremascoli in the first quarter of the Huskies’ Nov. 16 football game against the Miami University RedHawks. NIU Football has announced multiple additions to it’s lineup for the upcoming season. (Mingda Wu | Northern Star)

By Joseph Segreti, Sports Reporter

DeKALB – The Mid-American Conference has released NIU football’s 2023 schedule, featuring their homecoming opponent, the Ohio University Bobcats. 

The Huskies’ first four games on the schedule all feature opponents outside of the MAC. NIU will visit Boston College on Sept. 2 for their first matchup of the season and their first home game will be against Southern Illinois University on Sept. 9. 

NIU will take on its biggest opponent this season in their third game against the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers on Sept. 16 in Lincoln, Nebraska. The Huskies will close out their non-conference schedule with a home matchup against the University of Tulsa on Sept. 23, which will be the Huskies’ second matchup against Tulsa in two years. 

NIU’s final eight games of the season will all be against MAC opponents – four road games and four home games. Three of the home games featured opponents will be Eastern Michigan University, Ball State University and Western Michigan University. The Huskies will play the University of Toledo, the University of Akron, Central Michigan University and Kent State University on the road. 

On Oct. 14, the Huskies will take on the Ohio Bobcats at Huskie Stadium for the 116th Homecoming game.