Songs by well-known problematic artists

A graphic shows a collage of music albums in front of a blue and green colored background. This week’s Spotify playlist theme is songs by problematic artists. (Joey Trella | Northern Star)

From artists cheating on their wives to attempting to assassinate presidents, this week holds some of the best songs by problematic singers. 

Angelina’s picks:

1. Justin Timberlake – “Cry Me a River”  
  2. The 1975, Matty Healy – “Love It If We Made It” 
  3. Justin Bieber – “One Less Lonely Girl”

Justin Timberlake, former member of ‘90s boy band NSYNC, has found himself in hot water time and time again. Whether it be his relationship with Britney Spears, cheating on his wife while she was pregnant or his performance with Janet Jackson, Timberlake has proven himself a problematic person. His song, “Cry Me a River,” is undeniably catchy. “Cry Me a River” is the song that cemented his break up with Spears and launched his own solo career. Timberlake uses his lyrics to illustrate a man who was in love, this woman was his whole world, but she left him. She now regrets his decision to leave him, but Timberlake won’t listen. Instead, he tells her to go and cry him a river. 

Matty Healy, of The 1975, is well known for beginning a highly controversial statement at his shows before being cut off by his band. “Love It If We Made It” is controversial itself as it talks about two people fooling around in a car, shooting heroin, and “saying controversial things just for the hell of it.” Healy was angry with all the negative in the news but didn’t want to write a protest song, so instead he compiled the many events he has lived through in his life and added his own anger. 

“One Less Lonely Girl,” by Canadian singer Justin Bieber was a hit when it was released in 2009. Bieber wasn’t always a problematic artist. In fact, when he would perform “One Less Lonely Girl” at shows, one girl would be picked from the audience, brought on stage and Bieber would sing the song to her and give her a bouquet of flowers. The song highlights a boy who is crushing on a girl, and if she just let him love her and treat her right, there would be one less lonely girl in the world. 

Nick’s picks:

1. Kanye West – “Through The Wire”
  2. John Hinckley – “Smile Your Smile For Me”
  3. Charles Manson – “Look at Your Game Girl”

Kanye is Kanye. We don’t need to delve into the horrific, strange or outright incorrect things he has historically said. That being said, these acts and the Birthday Party – his political party – don’t detract from the wildly inventive beats and out of pocket bars that fill his music. “Through The Wire” tells the story of West’s car crash that almost cost West his life. Truthfully, this is the least important part of the song. The most important: the bongos. Experimenting with the sound now known as chipmunk soul, West’s beat features simple, boomy drums and smooth bass with a highly pitched up version of Chaka Khan’s “Through The Fire.” In spite of all of Kanye’s antics, “Through The Wire” is undoubtedly a banger, perfect for blasting while driving. 

OK, so I don’t like John Hinckley’s music, but I’ve needed the excuse to talk about his music ever since I found out that Hinckley is trying to make it as a musician after his prison sentence ended. Why did Hinckley go to prison you may ask? Oh, he tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan. With a simply strummed guitar, drums that sound like a metronome (constant, precise and mildly annoying), Hinckley’s music is not phenomenal, it’s probably not even good. But, it is terribly interesting. Hinckley – who was in prison for a few decades – is trying to make a new start for himself. Let’s hope, for his and our sake, it’s one without Ronald Reagan and Jodie Foster. 

For the true crime oriented, the name Charles Manson is a well-known, well researched name. The killer of the free loving ‘60s, Manson’s followers went on a murder spree with hopes of starting a race riot. Before he inspired this though, he tried to become a rock star. While most recordings of his music have the crazed twinge that followed Manson from Haight Ashbury to the Manson Family farm, “Look at Your Game Girl” is unfortunately great. The song consists of Manson’s singing and strummed acoustic guitar. Not only is the singing great and the guitar playing substantial and a perfect backing for Manson’s voice, the lyrics are also sadly good. The song starts “There’s a time for living / the time keeps on flying.” The lyrics would be beautiful if they weren’t sung by a mass murderer. Instead, they are filled with the horrific acts that Manson did. 

Tamya’s picks:

1. Kanye West – “Violent Crimes”
  2. Chris Brown – “With You” 
  3. Nicki Minaj – “Favorite”

“Violent Crimes” is featured on Kanye’s “ye” album. The album was completed in Wyoming where West would go to escape and create music. West uses the album to delve into his own mental health issues after being diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2016. The song focuses on West’s fear of his eldest daughter, North, growing up and having to deal with the pressures of fame. The song’s production is almost ghostly and haunting as he understands that his daughter will be a target of oversexualization due to his level of fame and the perception of her mother, Kim Kardashian. 

“With You” is featured on Chris Brown’s sophomore album, “Exclusive.” During the late 2000s into the early 2010s, Brown was able to bridge a gap between pop and R&B. At the time, the song was a romantic declaration of love for young couples to play to each other. The freshly legal Brown had catchy lyrics and a seductive look that made him a pure ladies man in the late 2000s. The song starts with a light guitar strum and Brown serenading elegantly across the record before adding a classic 2000s pop beat that ties the song together.

“Favorite” is featured on Nicki Minaj’s “The Pinkprint” that was released in 2014. The song is almost a decade old but is sure to still have the same effect on fans of the song. The beat is addictive as Nicki comes out the gate with a sassy intro. During 2014, Minaj was one of the only female rappers at the top of the music industry. Her ability to talk “like the boys” is what grew her such a massive fanbase. Minaj and her confident lyrics opened the floor to the female rappers of today who rely on cocky bars to sell their music.

Lindsay’s picks:

1. Azealia Banks – “212 (feat. Lazy Jay)”
  2. Panic! At The Disco – “Death of a Bachelor”
  3. Lana Del Rey – “Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)”

Azealia Banks has been in internet feuds and one-sided beefs with almost every major hip-hop artist. Attacking artists like Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Nicki Minaj and Pharrell, Banks always finds a way to be the center of attention. That being said, “212” is the epitome of early 2010s house music. Banks uses a variety of vocal styles to differentiate between the verse, chorus and bridge of the song. The song’s lyrics are extremely vulgar and raunchy, but when you take the time to really listen to the lyrics, you realize how witty the song is. 

Released in 2016, “Death of a Bachelor” was the first album released as a solo project from controversial frontman Brendon Urie after the departure of the band’s previous members. This album is considered by many fans to be the last good P!ATD album before Urie ‘ruined it,’ so it feels fitting to talk about the titular song. Inspired by Frank Sinatra’s music, the song blends jazz elements with synth-pop to create a unique sound. The bittersweet lyrics describe the end of an era. It illustrates the sadness of losing this aspect of life but looking forward to the new experiences ahead.

Lana Del Rey has said quite a few controversial things in her career, but in 2020 she was heavily criticized for calling out black female artists while making herself the sole victim in an Instagram post. Del Rey’s “Let The Light In” featuring Father John Misty was released as a part of her “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd” in 2023. The song is gloomy but invokes a feeling of hopefulness. The song is truly the embodiment of crying while receiving the best, warmest hug of your entire life.

Jonathan’s picks:

1. Frank Sinatra – “Nancy (With The Laughing Face)”
  2. Michael Jackson – “Off The Wall”
  3. Axl Rose (Guns N’ Roses) – “Sweet Child O’ Mine” 

While Frank Sinatra and his music may have been an icon of the mid 1900s, Sinatra certainly had more than a few issues of his own thanks to his temper. From assaulting people to destroying the things around him in his fits of rage, Sinatra was still quite the musician despite his negative qualities. One of his songs, “Nancy with the Laughing Face,” has such relaxing energy that you could even fall asleep to it, much like many of his other songs. Sinatra’s deep and smooth singing perfectly matches with the steady tempo of the song, and the almost sorrowful tone of the violins, flutes and bass are just the cherry on top. Sinatra might have had his own issues, but his work in the music industry is undeniably phenomenal. 

Michael Jackson was one of the most well known artists during the ‘80s whose music is still recognized even by the current generation today. Even so, he was very far from perfect as his reputation was tainted by actions of frequent drug usage and child abuse. All these years later, he is remembered more so for his songs like “Thriller” and “Smooth Criminal.” One of my personal favorites, “Off The Wall,” has such (this is going to make me sound so old) a groovy beat that it’s hard not to move with the song. Not to mention that the lyrics are super catchy and easy to sing along to.

Axl Rose, the lead vocalist for the group Guns N’ Roses, is well known for his distinctive vocals. However, his behavior in public was usually very inappropriate, and he was arrested for assault and disorderly conduct on more than one occasion. One of the group’s songs, “Sweet Child O’ Mine” is actually one of my favorite songs because of the instruments and its overall positive vibe. The opening with the guitar solo is legendary, and the transition into the bass is just perfect. 

Sarah’s picks:

1. Kanye West, Chris Martin – “Homecoming”
  2. Tory Lanez – “Lady of Namek”
  3. Lana Del Rey – “Cinnamon Girl”

Kanye West: great artist, terrible person. From his “Graduation” album, West collaborated with Coldplay member Chris Martin to create one of the best tracks off the album. The song is about West’s love for the city of Chicago, and the lyrics “If you don’t know by now, I’m talkin’ ‘bout Chi-Town” tell the listeners what he’s referencing. The feel-good song makes you nostalgic of home, wherever it may be, and the good things that are associated with home. Martin’s vocals add a sense of security, wrapping you in a warm blanket. 

Tory Lanez is now serving 10 years in prison for shooting Megan Thee Stallion in the foot almost three years ago. Lanez’s most popular song is arguably “The Color Violet,” but off the same album is the song “Lady of Namek” which is equally as good. The song has Lanez going back and forth between his heart and head on whether he should go out with a girl he likes. With an upbeat, R&B vocal drive, “Lady of Namek” contains a fun, catchy rhythm that’s easy to dance to.

One of my top three favorite songs by Lana Del Rey is “Cinnamon Girl,” the ultimate soft-girl anthem. Rey’s voice is quieted down in this song, tuned to be soft and delicate. Rey is speaking to a lover in the song, wishing that she could say the things on her mind but chooses to remain silent, letting her lover live without the knowledge of whatever she was going to say. “Cinnamon Girl” is a somber song which sounds light and airy, similar to an angel singing it. 

Emily’s picks:

1. R. Kelly – “I Believe I Can Fly”
  2. Elvis Presley – “Jailhouse Rock”
  3. Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) – “I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing”

Kelly is arguably the most problematic artist of all time. Kelly has been accused of numerous instances of sexual abuse and was indicted and charged for sexual abuse. Kelly has a Netflix documentary called “Surviving R. Kelly” which is based on his problematic issues. Kelly has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for sex trafficking and racketeering, according to Deadline. Kelly wrote “I Believe I Can Fly” for the 1996 movie “Space Jam.” The song is about believing in yourself and believing that you can achieve your dreams. The lines “If I can see it / Then I can do it / If I just believe it / There’s nothing to it,” imply that Kelly believes that he could be something great and accomplish his dreams in life. The irony of the meaning of this song is hilarious, given that I’m sure going to prison was not one of his dreams.

Elvis Presley, otherwise known as the “King of Rock and Roll” has many hit songs such as “Jailhouse Rock.” Elvis met his future wife Priscilla Presley in 1959 and started their relationship. However, the 10-year age difference was very concerning. Elvis was 24 and Priscilla was only 14 when they started their relationship, which is very creepy. Elvis and Priscilla eventually got married in 1967. However, in their relationship, Elvis was extremely controlling, because he controlled what Priscilla wore, according to Cracked. “Jailhouse Rock” starts off with a drum that is played in a way that makes everyone want to dance. The use of the electric guitar adds the rock and roll vibe to the song and helps Elvis live up to his nickname. 

Steven Tyler, the lead singer of Aerosmith has also been in hot water, especially fairly recently. Tyler met a woman named Julia Holcomb when she was 16. He engaged in a sexual relationship with her, which resulted in her becoming pregnant. Then he allegedly persuaded her to undergo an abortion, according to the Phoenix New Times. Tyler has also had numerous other lawsuits of sexual assault against him, with the most recent lawsuit appearing on Nov. 2, according to The Guardian. “I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing” was written for the 1998 movie “Armageddon.” The song is about enjoying the time spent with another person and how Tyler doesn’t want to miss anything that occurs in the person’s life. The chorus illustrates this feeling of longing perfectly. The lines “Don’t wanna close my eyes / I don’t wanna fall asleep ‘cause I’d miss you, baby / And I don’t wanna miss a thing” illustrate that Tyler is afraid that if he even blinks or falls asleep he is going to miss important moments of someone’s life.