NIU crime log, Feb. 2023

By Bridgette Fox, Written Managing Editor

DeKALB – The information in this report is compiled from the NIU Police Department’s Daily Crime Log.

Any case defined as “unfounded” was not included in this list. Any case “closed by exception” means the case is closed due to circumstances outside of the investigation (missing a complainant, suspect was arrested for another crime, etc.). Any “suspended” case means the investigation is paused until leads become available. All locations provided are general.

Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. For more information, contact the NIU Police Department on its website.

Feb. 2

• At 12:45 a.m., cases of tampering with security, fire and/or life systems and obstruction of identification occurred at Grant Hall North. This case was closed by exception on Feb. 2.

Feb. 4

• At 11:30 a.m., an arrest regarding an in-state warrant occurred in the Holmes Student Center.

Feb. 6

• At 4:17 p.m., a case of tampering with security, fire and/or life systems occurred at Neptune Residence Hall East. This case was closed by exception on Feb. 6.
  • At 7:30 p.m., a case of battery occurred in Parking Lot 4, 365 Gilbert Drive. This case is open.

Feb. 7

• At 1:01 p.m., criminal trespass to real property occurred at the Holmes Student Center. This case was suspended.
  • 2:30 p.m., burglary from a motor vehicle, theft from a motor vehicle and criminal damage to property occurred in Parking Lot C, 890 Lucinda Ave. This case is open.

Feb. 8

• At 7:38 p.m., an arrest regarding an in-state warrant occurred in Patterson Residence Hall East.
  • At 8:51 p.m., an arrest regarding an in-state warrant occurred in Patterson Residence Hall East.

Feb. 9

• At 10 p.m., two offenses of domestic battery and a third offense of criminal trespass to real property occurred in Patterson Residence Hall East. This case is open.

Feb. 10

• At 1:24 a.m., a case of domestic battery and battery occurred in Stevenson Residence Hall North. This case is open.
  • At 5:56 p.m., a case of criminal trespass to real property occurred at Lucinda and Stadium Drive East. This case was closed by arrest.

Feb. 11

• At 2:10 a.m., obstruction of identification and battery occurred at 325 N. Annie Glidden Road (near the Recreation Center). This case was closed by arrest.
  • At 3:14 a.m., illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor at Grant Residence Hall North was reported. This case was closed by exception.
  • At 4:46 a.m., a criminal sexual assault at the Stevenson Complex was reported. This case was suspended.

Feb. 12

• At 10:57 a.m., an arrest regarding an in-state warrant occurred in Montgomery Hall.
  • At 4 p.m., a case of tampering with security, fire and/or life systems occurred at Grant Residence Hall North. This case was closed by exception.

Feb. 13

• At 4 p.m., a criminal sexual assault occurred in the Stevenson Complex. This case is open.

Feb. 14

• At 8 a.m., a retail theft occurred at Stevenson Residence Hall North. This case is open.
  • At 10:22 p.m., a theft of lost or mislaid property occurred in Neptune Residence Hall East. This case was suspended.

Feb. 16

• At 11:06 a.m., criminal trespass to real property occurred at the Holmes Student Center. This case was closed by arrest.
  • At 11:54 a.m., an arrest regarding an in-state warrant occurred in the Holmes Student Center.
  • At 7:02 p.m., a case of battery occurred in the Recreation Center. This case is open.

Feb. 17

• At 3:26 a.m., a case of unauthorized videotaping/live video transmission occurred in the Stevenson Complex. This case was closed by arrest.
  • At 10:49 a.m., a false fire alarm occurred at Stevenson Residence Hall South. This case is open.
  • At 7:54 p.m., a case of tampering with security, fire and/or life systems occurred at Stevenson Residence Hall South. This case was closed by exception.

Feb. 18

• At 5:47 a.m., a false fire alarm occurred in Stevenson Residence Hall South. This case is open.

Feb. 20

• At 11:20 a.m., an obstruction of identification occurred at Parking Lot X, 615 N. Annie Glidden Road. This case was closed by exception.
  • At 11:49 a.m., a case of theft from a building occurred at Patterson Residence Hall West. This case is open.
  • At noon in Lot C, there was a case of leaving the scene following a property damage accident. This case was suspended.

Feb. 22

• At 9:30 a.m., failure to notify damage/unattended vehicle occurred at Lot C, 890 Lucinda Avenue. This case is suspended.

Feb. 23

• At 12:03 a.m., intimidation occurred at Patterson Residence Hall West. This case is open.
  • At 2:30 p.m., forgery occurred at Swen Parson Hall. This case is open.

Feb. 24
  • At 4 p.m., two offenses of battery and one offense of criminal sexual assault occurred in the Stevenson Complex. This case is open.

Feb. 26

• At 3:06 a.m., illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor occurred in Grant Residence Hall North. This case was closed by exception.

Feb. 28

• At 11:45 a.m., a theft of $500 or less occurred at Stevenson Residence Hall North. This case is open.