The Pat Bev Effect: A boost for the Bulls

AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh

Chicago Bulls guard Patrick Beverley, left, passes against Memphis Grizzlies guard Luke Kennard during the first half of an NBA basketball game in Chicago, Sunday, April 2, 2023. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

By DeOndre Saunders, Sports Reporter

Chicago Bulls fans have been talking on social media about the Pat Bev Effect. The Bulls have improved their team chemistry and performance since signing Patrick Beverly after the All-Star break. 

Beverly grew up on the west side of Chicago. In his senior year at John Marshall Metropolitan High School, he averaged 37.3 points, eight steals, six assists and six rebounds. He also won the Illinois Mr. Basketball award in 2006.

The Bulls acquired Beverly after he was traded. The Los Angeles Lakers traded Beverly, a future second-round pick, and cash in exchange for center Mo Bamba. The Magic and Beverly reached a buyout agreement which led to him signing with the Bulls.

On Beverly’s podcast “The Pat Bev Podcast” with Rone (his co-host), he talked about how excited he was to play for his hometown. 

“I get to take my son and baby girl to school, pick them up and get to rep my city on my chest proudly,” Beverly said.

His other option was the Golden State Warriors, but on his podcast he said he chose the Bulls because the Warriors have too many guards.

The Bulls have gone 11-7 since Beverly’s arrival. The first game he won with Chicago gave a taste of the Pat Bev Effect as the Bulls blew out the Brooklyn Nets 131-87. Beverly recorded eight points, five rebounds and four assists with a plus-minus of +24 when he was on the floor.

Beverly is impactful on the defensive end. He is no stranger to defense as he has been selected to the NBA All-Defense team three times. In the last six games, the Bulls ranked sixth in defensive rating at 111.3. 

He has also been a good floor general, rebounder and passer. Beverly has had two double-doubles since joining the Bulls, one in which he recorded 10 rebounds and 10 assists. He has had three double-digit rebound games as well. 

“In the history of the NBA, I’m the best offensive rebounding point guard,” Beverly said on his podcast.

Beverly spoke highly of his teammate guard Zach Lavine on his podcast.

“Zach is cold,” Beverly said. “I had to call other people in the league and tell them how cold he is.”

He also spoke highly of head coach Billy Donovan. 

“He’s great, his ability to put you in your roles, tell you your roles is great,” Beverly said.

The Bulls currently have a record of 37-40 and sit in 10th place in the Eastern Conference. They are in contention for the Play-In tournament but can move up from the 10th spot if they keep excelling.