Trail off campus this spring

Prairie+Park+Arboretum+Saturday+morning+a+great+for+picnic+tables%2C+Disc+Golf+and+the+perfect+walking+tail.+%28+Nyla+Owens+%7C+Northern+Star%29+

Prairie Park Arboretum Saturday morning a great for picnic tables, Disc Golf and the perfect walking tail. ( Nyla Owens | Northern Star)

By Sarah Rose, Assistant Lifestyle Editor

As the seasons change and the weather becomes more compliant, consider exploring walking trails in the DeKalb and Sycamore areas. 

PRAIRIE PARK

Prairie Park, located at 401 Clifford Drive, is the closest hiking trail to campus. Prairie Park offers hiking and biking trails, disc golf and fishing. Pets can be walked on the trail, but must be on a leash. The park offers lots of open space to spread out and study on, or simply to just soak up the sun. 

Though located across from a neighborhood, the park’s expanse of trees blocks out the bustle of noise and allows for a peaceful respite. For an added bonus, there is a hats and mittens exchange box at the beginning of the trail for anyone in the community who is in need of warmer garments, or for anyone who needs to get rid of their mittens or hats. 

MERRITT PRAIRIE

Merritt Prairie Forest Preserve, located at 14401 Keslinger Road, is a wilderness adventure in itself. The path takes you out to the countryside, and surrounds you with birds and rolling hills. Walking and biking are permitted on Merritt’s defined grassy path, and there’s plenty of trail that allows ample time for relaxation and reflection. 

This preserve is also a wildlife refuge, so keep your eyes open for any animals sharing the space with you. Merritt also includes small grassy areas with picnic tables which are perfect for studying or eating on. 

P.A. NEHRING PRESERVE

This hiking site, located at 380 Bethany Road, contains a paved trail, grass trail and open playfield. This may not be the quietest walking path, due to part of it running behind a neighborhood, but it does offer amenities such as restrooms and a covered picnic area. Two-thirds of the path runs along the Kishwaukee River, offering fishing access and spots to stop and watch the river flow. This location is perfect for those who want to get away from campus and visit new scenery.  

SYCAMORE FOREST PRESERVE

What was once the Evergreen Village Mobile Home Park is now the Sycamore Forest Preserve due to a flood event that occurred in August 2007. Located at 955 E State St., this hiking trail is perfect for any type of recreational activity. The smooth concrete path allows anyone to bike, skateboard or roller skate as well as walk or jog. This preserve contains lots of open grass, so when the weather is warm, grab some blankets and friends and lead a scenic outdoor study group. 

A wooden statue of an owl which perches in front of the Sycamore Forest Preserve. ( Sarah Rose | Northern Star)

For viewing pleasure, there are several intricately made wood carved statues located in the open spaces. Along part of the paved path, the Sycamore Public Library has placed sign structures that contain poems and stories for part of its Story Trail program. While you’re out enjoying nature, feel free to enjoy some outdoor reading as well.