School of Theatre and Dance welcomes new director

Newly+appointed+Director+of+the+School+of+Theatre+and+Dance%2C+Roxanna+Conner%2C+sitting.+

Courtesy of the College of Visual Arts and Sciences

Newly appointed Director of the School of Theatre and Dance, Roxanna Conner, sitting.

By Rachel Cormier, News Reporter

DeKALB – The NIU School of Theater and Dance is opening the curtains for the new director Roxanna Conner who will begin her position on July 1.

Conner was selected from her vast involvement in the theater world with nearly two decades of experience in Chicago theater under her belt.

“I’m interested in taking on the challenge of how we get more people in seats because that’s who the performances are for,” Conners said. “Figuring out how we develop that community in DeKalb and the surrounding area is really of interest to me.”

Her involvement includes her recent position as acting managing director of Victory Gardens Theatre in Chicago where she previously worked as producing director of engagement and as director of education. Additionally, Conner served as education director at Congo Square Theatre and audience education director for the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts at the University of Illinois.

“Ms. Conner brings to the position deep theatre expertise and professional savvy along with remarkable wisdom and compassion,” said Paul Kassel, dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts. “We were all impressed and inspired by the clarity of her vision for the future of the theater and dance fields, and how the school will be a necessary and important part of creating that future.”

Her educational experience has led her to teaching a broad range of students from preschool to college over the last nine years, including leading high school theater programs to college internship programs.

Conner is eager to share her knowledge about the theater and dance industry with the diversity of NIU in mind.

“There is a sea change in this industry with regards to diversity, equity and inclusion,” Conner said. “Not only embracing it in a way that we are living up to what folks are expecting professionally, but preparing students, with transparency, for what that looks like in the real world.”

Conner anticipates building partnerships with several of her contacts to better connect the school with hands-on opportunities for students to meet with visiting artists and executive and managing directors. Students may have the opportunity to attend master classes and work with visiting artists in the future.

“I’m very excited about the possibilities of partnerships and creating opportunities for the students and faculty with organizations in places like Chicago, Milwaukee or Madison, that will not just elevate the School of Theatre and Dance, but NIU, while giving each individual exposure and experience that will be life-changing for them,” Conners said.