Huskies struggle in doubles, shut out by Cardinals

Freshman+Reagan+Welch+assumes+the+ready+position+during+a+match+against+the+University+of+St.+Francis+on+Feb.+11.+Welch+earned+victories+in+two+singles+matches+and+one+doubles+match+during+NIUs+weekend+trip+in+the+state+of+Iowa.+%28Summer+Fitzgerald+%7C+Northern+Star%29+

Summer Fitzgerald

Freshman Reagan Welch assumes the ready position during a match against the University of St. Francis on Feb. 11. Welch earned victories in two singles matches and one doubles match during NIU’s weekend trip in the state of Iowa. (Summer Fitzgerald | Northern Star)

By Zack Rodriguez, Sports Reporter

DeKALB – NIU women’s tennis struggled during doubles competition en route to a 7-0 shutout at Nelson Tennis Center in the Chick Evans Field against conference foe Ball State University. BSU shut out NIU for the second time this season. 

NIU got off to a slow start, losing three consecutive matches in just two sets. BSU built a 4-0 lead early on, good enough for a Cardinals win. 

With this loss, NIU falls to 12-14 overall and 2-6 in the MAC. BSU improves to 18-3 overall and 7-1 in the conference. 

DOUBLES

The Huskies were shut out during doubles play, losing two out of three matches at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. NIU has dropped two or more matchups during doubles in three consecutive games. 

BSU’s duo of freshman Annika Planinsek and senior Amy Kaplan went toe-to-toe against sophomore Erika Dimitriev and freshman Nataly Ninova at the No. 1 spot. The contest went unfinished, resulting in a 4-4 tie. 

Ball State graduate Allison Mulville and junior Mariya Polishchuk cruised past junior Diana Lukyanova and sophomore Reagan Welch in a lopsided 6-1 affair at the No. 2 spot.

SINGLES

The Huskies went winless through singles play, dropping all six matchups. BSU claimed four out of six matches in straight-sets. 

BSU took its first two matchups in just two sets to kick-off singles. Polishchuk downed Dimitriev in a 6-4, 6-2 contest at the No. 1 spot, while Kaplan dominated Lukyanova 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 2 spot. 

Despite trailing 4-0 early on, the Huskies continued to fight. Ninova won her first set over Peeler in a 7-6 tiebreaker victory before losing the following two sets and the match.

UP NEXT

The Huskies will travel to Oxford, Ohio for their final away game at noon Friday against Miami University. Live stats will be available via iOncourt