Support local bookstores this Independent Bookstore Day

A+girl+skimming+through+a+book+while+at+the+library.+Opinion+Columnist+Lucy+Atkinson+urges+students+to+support+their+local+bookstore+in+celebration+of+Independent+Bookstore+Day.+

Ana Guzman

A girl skimming through a book while at the library. Opinion Columnist Lucy Atkinson urges students to support their local bookstore in celebration of Independent Bookstore Day.

By Lucy Atkinson, Opinion Editor

Independent Bookstore Day is April 29, and, like all good bookworms, we should be supporting our local bookstores to celebrate this bibliophile’s holiday.

The recent history of American bookstores seems like a plotline straight out of an action novel.  

Since the introduction of Amazon in 1995, bookstores’ sales have been decreasing.

According to research by the WordsRated analytical group, the number of indie bookstores in America has decreased 64% since Amazon arrived; and today, Amazon accounts for more than 50% of book sales in the US.

Then again when the pandemic hit, indie bookstores plummeted alongside other small businesses. However, like every good story, this one had a happy ending. 

In 2020, indie bookstores began to bounce back, making a stunning comeback with nearly 70% higher sales in 2021 than 2019, the American Booksellers Association (ABA) Chief Executive Allison Hill told The New York Times

What’s more, bookstores are becoming increasingly diverse. According to a separate study by WordsRated, 2021 saw a growing proportion of new indie bookstores run by non-white owners, leading to more diversified content available to customers and increased representation for stories by authors and about characters of color.

Indie bookstores also hold aesthetic value, with their classic, cuddly atmosphere and pleasing, bookish aroma.

Acting as the meet-cutes of rom-coms and offering a permanence the library doesn’t, indie bookstores are uniquely charming. 

To recognize this, we have a day dedicated to celebrating them. 

As noted by the ABA, Independent Bookstore Day takes place on the last Saturday of every April and is celebrated by indie bookstores who are members of the ABA as well as their respective regional associations.

2023 will be the holiday’s tenth anniversary and indie bookstores across the nation will be hosting special events with contests, exclusive book sales and giveaways, as the ABA’s website cheerfully promises. 

Here in DeKalb, Robin’s Nest Bookshoppe is the sole indie bookstore. Located downtown, Robin’s Nest Bookshoppe offers discounts for NIU honors students, a selection of toys for young children, and a book for each reader. 

To celebrate Independent Bookstore Day, Robin’s Nest Bookshoppe’s will participate in downtown DeKalb’s Spring Shindig event, from 11 am to 5 pm on Apr. 29. 

For those who can go, do. 

But for those who can’t make it to an Independent Bookstore Day celebration – such as busy college students preparing for finals – consider supporting your local indie bookstores instead. 

Like any small business – regardless of the day, month or celebration – indie bookstores need our continued support and enthusiasm to thrive. 

Illinois has over 120 indie bookstores and the ABA’s member directory can guide you to the closest shop near you. 

Whether your passion is for classic period romances, goth and gore, or the technicalities of plane-construction, there’s a book for you. Treat yourself to that lovely, papery smell, and while you’re at it, spend some money at the indie bookstores we all adore.