Summerhill’s home run helps Huskies snap skid

Mingda Wu

NIU junior shortstop Andre Demetral (1) rounds to third base after stealing second base in the bottom of the first inning. Demetral scored off of a hit by junior first baseman Colin Summerhill, earning the Huskies their first run of the game and setting the score 3-1. (Mingda Wu | Northern Star)

By Zachary Bertram, Senior Sports Reporter

DeKALB – NIU baseball (8-35, 4-16 MAC) snapped its 11-game losing streak Wednesday with a 3-2 win over the University of Milwaukee-Wisconsin Panthers (20-22, 9-11 Horizon). Powered by a go-ahead home run from junior catcher and outfielder Colin Summerhill, the Huskies earned their first win since April 9. 

The game was a pitchers duel as the two teams combined for just nine hits. All three of the Huskies’ runs were scored on Summerhill’s home run and the Panthers scored their two runs on three total hits. 

NIU sophomore pitcher Mason Ruh earned the win, striking out the side in his lone inning of work. Milwaukee graduate pitcher Sam Mathews allowed two earned runs on three hits and suffered the loss. NIU sophomore pitcher Tommy Meyer earned a six out save, striking out four batters in two innings pitched. 

It was a combined effort on the mound for the Huskies, as they used six different pitchers to combine for 13 strikeouts. The Panthers used a similar strategy, as they used seven different pitchers. 

NIU junior infielder Aaron Harper had a strong day at the plate, going 2-for-3 with a run scored on Summerhill’s home run. Milwaukee senior utility player Aaron Chapman went 1-for-4 with a solo home run. 

The Panthers struck first with an RBI double from senior first baseman and pitcher Nate DeYoung in the bottom of the fourth inning to take a 1-0 lead. 

Summerhill launched a go-ahead three-run home run in the top of the sixth inning to give the Huskies a 3-1 lead. Chapman answered in the bottom half of the sixth inning with a solo home run to cut the deficit to 3-2. 

NIU senior pitcher Brandon Doty and Meyer combined to shut Milwaukee out over the last three innings to secure the 3-2 win for the Huskies. 

UP NEXT

The Huskies’ next game will be against the University of Toledo at 3 p.m. Friday at Ralph McKinzie Field at Walt and Janice Owens Park. The game will be live streamed on NIU All-Access, and live stats will be available via SideArm Stats.