Track and field wins seven events in Huskie Classic

Nyla Owens

Scout Regular, a junior hurdler, took first in the 100-meter hurdles Saturday. Scout also took first in the 4×100-meter relay. (Nyla Owens| Northern Star)

By Joseph Segreti, Sports Reporter

DeKALB – NIU women’s track capped off its outdoor regular season with a home showcase, as the team earned seven first place finishes at the Huskie Classic. 

Junior Scout Regular took first place in both the 100-meter hurdles and as a member of the 4×100 meter relay team. Regular’s time of 13.80 seconds provided her best finish of the outdoor season in the 100-meter hurdles. 

Regular also ran the third leg of the 4×100 meter relay team that took first with a time of 45.90 seconds. The relay team also consisted of fifth year Kimone Hines, junior Skylynn Blue and graduate Suerethia Henderson. 

The 4×400 meter relay team also took first place, as the team consisted of sophomore Roshell Rowe, sophomore Talayssia Sanders, Henderson and junior Kennedy Crawford. The relay team’s winning time was 3:54.27. 

In the 100-meter dash, the first, second and third place finishers were all Huskies. Blue took first place with a time of 11.41 seconds. Hines finished in second, posting a time of 11.58 seconds and Henderson rounded out the top three with a time of 11.86 seconds. 

Fifth year Dymier Jeffery won the high jump, as she jumped 1.60 meters. This was Jeffery’s best finish for the high jump through the indoor and outdoor seasons. 

Fifth year Diamond Riley competed in the long and triple jump on Saturday, taking first in the long jump and second in the triple jump. Riley’s winning jump was 5.72 meters, and her second place jump was 12.49 meters. 

Senior Katelyn Robbins won the 5000-meter run by a wide margin, as she beat out the second place finisher, NIU freshman Sarah McLaughlin, by three minutes. Robbins official finish time was 18:50.80, and Mclaughlin finished with a time of 21:49.45. 

UP NEXT

NIU’s next meet will be the MAC Outdoor Championships, starting Thursday and continuing through Saturday in Akron, Ohio at the Lee R. Jackson Track and Field Complex.