New ticket policy being discussed

By Steve Dennis

NIU students may be facing another new ticket policy for men’s home basketball games in the very near future.

The Long-Range Planning Committee of the Athletic Board is currently working on a plan that would allow students to acquire tickets for all men’s basketball games a week before the contests are ever played.

Although nothing is certain yet, the committee has drawn up a tentative plan for students to pick up tickets for the entire week starting on Monday morning.

“Tickets should be made available for multiple games so that students may pick up tickets for all games scheduled in a given week in one trip to the ticket office. Beginning Monday of each week, students may obtain tickets for any home game scheduled through the following Sunday,” is part of the proposed plan according to an informal memo passed out at Wednesday’s monthly Athletic Board meeting.

Just prior to last season’s men’s basketball schedule, the Athletic Board instituted the policy in which students could obtain tickets on the morning of game day. Previous to that plan, students could only enter men’s contests at the time of the game.

Just a tad more than 3,000 tickets are allotted to students for basketball games—which totals 50 percent of the Chick Evans Field House capacity.

‘Associate Athletic Director Keith Hackett announced the new handicap area for NIU football games. Hackett said a section in the south endzone is now designated for the handicapped—which allows easy access to the handicapped restrooms located in the southwest corner.

Hackett noted that the handicap were previously situated on the field, which was “a liability in itself,” Hackett said.

The associate AD went on to say that plans for additional handicap seating at the baseball and softball diamonds, as well as Huskie Soccer Field are also being investigated. “It’s just one of the many facility needs that we have,” Athletic Director Gerald O’Dell said.