Students react, first week of Neptune North

Rachel Cormier
A stack of unopened air conditioning units in the Neptune North main lobby. (Rachel Cormier | Northern Star)

DeKALB –  After closing its doors in Spring 2020 and spending two years being a quarantine facility, Neptune Hall North officially reopened its doors this Fall semester. 

According to NIU, 14,364 student enrollments during the Spring of 2023, and with a need for campus housing, there was a demand to utilize the old closed hall.

“We’re very excited about reopening the building, and the students that have moved in over the last seven days seem to be very excited about rebuilding a community there,” said Dan Pederson, executive director for Housing and Residential Services.

Some current residents have noted that they enjoy living in the residence hall and have been pleased with their choice of living there.

William Perry, a junior finance major, is living in the hall and has enjoyed his time so far.

“People talk bad sometimes about the dorm, but they still got pride in it, it’s their home,” said Perry.

But, what he isn’t proud of is the air conditioning.

“This building could use AC in every room, that would be good, it’s (the air conditioning) garbage.” Perry said.

Neptune North has no central air conditioning. The only room that provides cool air is the lobby which has a series of window units running throughout it.

Neptune Hall East is the only wing of the Neptune Halls that has air conditioning throughout the building.

Current resident of Neptune North Andrew Bray, an undecided first-year, said the lack of AC has been detrimental to him. 

“The only downside is the AC issues,” Bray said.

Bray, like other residents, had said that one way he has been relieving himself of the lack of air conditioning is by his own fan.

Walking around the building, nearly every window can be seen with a variation of personal fans.

During the week of move in, many residents noted the heat as being an issue.

“The outside air temperatures were reaching 120 heat index,” Pedersen said. “Everywhere on campus was a little warm last week.”

This coming week Neptune Hall North residents will need to prepare for the heat again, as Tuesday will reach a high of 90 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.

To learn more about Neptune Hall North and the other wings of the Neptune Halls, go to NIU’s website.