COLUMN: Unleashing dark-horse potential of 2023 Chicago Bears

Five reasons the Bears can shock the world
Nam Y. Huh
Chicago Bears quarterback Justin Fields throws during the first half of an NFL football game against the Green Bay Packers Sunday, Sept. 10, 2023, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

DeKALB – As the 2023 NFL season dawns, a story of resilience, determination and potential unfolds on the gridiron.

From underdogs to dark horses, I believe the Chicago Bears are poised to defy expectations and stampede their way into the playoffs. Here are five reasons why the Bears could be sneakily good. 

1. BEARS DEMONSTRATE RESILIENCE  

The new regime, consisting of general manager Ryan Poles and head coach Matt Eberflus,  committed to a rebuild entering the 2022 season. 

Despite facing talent gaps and lacking seasoned leadership, the Bears showcased their competitive spirit by holding their ground against formidable opponents.

Eight of their 14 losses were hard-fought, down-to-the-wire battles decided by a single score. Five of those close losses occurred against playoff contenders – most prominently against the eventual NFC champion Philadelphia Eagles. A commendable start for Year 1 of the rebuilding process. 

1. DEFENSIVE RENDITIONS  

The Bears’ defense struggled last season, conceding an average of 27.2 points per game – good for the worst in the league.

In an attempt to bolster this group, Poles made a $91.5 million investment in linebacker duo Tremaine Edmunds and TJ Edwards. Poles also acquired two formidable edge rushers in DeMarcus Walker and Yannick Ngakoue.

Poles utilized seven of his 10 draft selections to address the remaining defensive gaps. He added Tyrique Stevenson and Terell Smith to solidify the emerging secondary, while Gervon Dexter Sr. and Zacch Pickens were brought in to enhance the interior defensive line.

Under the guidance of a defensive-minded head coach, the Bears’ enhanced defensive performance holds the promise of a compelling season ahead.

1. ‘MOORE’ OFFENSIVE WEAPONS 

Heading into the 2022 season, the Bears sought an offensive x-factor. Despite leading the team in receiving yards, tight end Cole Kmet finished with just 544 scrimmage yards, underscoring the team’s lack of a standout playmaker on offense.

Opposing defenses entering Soldier Field this season will face a daunting task as they confront the Bears’ revamped offense.

In a blockbuster trade that involved surrendering the first overall pick to Carolina, the Bears secured the services of wide receiver D.J. Moore. 

Since his 2018 draft, Moore has amassed the 11th highest number of receiving yards among all eligible players. Equipped with an impressive skill set, Moore has the potential to emerge as a legitimate number one threat for the Bears.

Another key addition is tight end Robert Tonyan. Known for his athleticism and solid hands, Tonyan has proven to be a reliable target in the passing game.

Receiver Chase Claypool remains one of the most intriguing ‘what if’s’ on the Bears’ roster. If he can replicate his impressive performance from his first two seasons – amassing over 1,600 yards from scrimmage – then the Bears could find themselves in a promising position.

1. STABILITY ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE 

For years, the Bears have struggled to demonstrate consistency and dominance on the offensive line. That will change after a pair of key acquisitions. 

Nate Davis, a former Tennessee Titans guard, signed a three-year, $30 million deal. Davis, who has 55 starts over four seasons, allowed just 14 QB pressures on 385 pass-blocking attempts last season, per ProFootballFocus

Using a pick from the Moore trade, the Bears drafted tackle Darnell Wright from the University of Tennessee. Wright had an impressive record in college, not conceding a single sack over 850 offensive snaps last season, according to the Chicago Bears website.

With Braxton Jones flanking the left side, Tevin Jenkins manning the interior, and Cody Whitehair down under center, the Bears have finally found stability. 

1. EASE OF SCHEDULE

According to the prognostications of Las Vegas oddsmakers, the Chicago Bears have the sixth easiest schedule, with a projected total of 7.8 wins. Opponents for the 2023 season who failed to make the playoffs include the Washington Commanders (8-8-1), Denver Broncos (5-12), Carolina Panthers (7-10), New Orleans Saints (7-10), Arizona Cardinals (4-13), Atlanta Falcons (7-10) and Cleveland Browns (7-10).

With seven available playoff spots in a relatively wide-open conference, the Bears have an opportunity to send shockwaves through sports media.