COLUMN: Bears in need of answers amid horrid start

How the Chicago Bears can turn their season around
Charlie Riedel | Associated Press
Chicago Bears quarterback Justin Fields (1) runs the football while Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Trent McDuffie (22) attempts to tackle him on Sep. 24 in Kansas City. Sports Reporter Eddie Miller details what the Bears should do with their first round picks in the 2024 NFL Draft. (Charlie Riedel | Associated Press)

Starting the year 0-3, the Chicago Bears have fallen to be one of the worst – if not, the worst – teams in the NFL. Given the circumstances, it is nearly impossible for the organization to turn this season around, but there are some viable options. 

Coming into the season there were high hopes for the Bears, but three games in, fans have seemingly lost hope. This is understandable because Chicago is within the bottom three in the NFL for total yards and yards given up (29th in yards, 30th in yards given up), according to StatMuse.

Turning their season around in full is nearly impossible, but there are three things that the Bears could do that would benefit the team going into next season. 

FIRE MATT EBERFLUS

Bears head coach Matt Eberflus is a problem in Chicago and should get fired as soon as possible. Eberflus being hired for the position is a mistake in itself. He is a defensive minded coach and to put him alongside a rookie quarterback is questionable to say the least. 

Also, Eberflus was hired before the Bears hired general manager Ryan Poles when typically, the general manager is offered the choice to select the coach. This has sabotaged the Bears’ chances, making it incredibly difficult to find an identity. 

It would be a different story if the Bears defense was productive, but they have had a rough start to the year. In their last two games, the Bears have given up 68 points with Eberflus calling plays.

Eberflus took over as the Bears’ defensive play caller, following former defensive coordinator Alan Williams resigning under unique circumstances. 

The Bears also have a -59 point differential, the lowest in the NFL making it clear that Eberflus should be gone. 

BEEF UP THE DEFENSIVE LINE 

Although there are limited options mid-season, the Bears defensive line has been flat out terrible and is the biggest weakness on the already bad defense. 

The starters on the defensive line are defensive ends Yannick Ngakoue, DeMarcus Walker and tackles Justin Jones and Andrew Billings. The team has totaled only one sack this season, the lowest in the league and ranked tied for 60th among NFL players. 

Having a productive defensive line is essential, because forcing sacks and pressure on the quarterback takes slack off the defensive backs. This would not be an issue if the Bears drafted well, but Poles passed on Eagles defensive tackle Jalen Carter, taking offensive tackle Darnell Wright instead. 

A potential option for the Bears is to target Chiefs defensive tackle Chris Jones for a trade, but more realistically try to sign him in the offseason. Jones had 15.5 sacks last year and is one of the best defenders in the league. 

FIRE LUKE GETSY

Offensive coordinator Luke Getsy needs to be fired as well. 

The Bears offense has been equally horrific to the defense, scoring only five touchdowns this season (fourth-least in the NFL). Quarterback Justin Fields is a common scapegoat for the situation, but the whole offense has been lackluster. 

Putting up only 526 yards, Chicago has had a horrible season passing. On the bright side, the Bears have had a mediocre season rushing, putting up 305 yards through the season.

Getsy seems to not trust Fields, being repetitive among screen passes and gadget plays. This backfired on Getsy against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after calling the same screen pass three times leading to a pick-six. 

Chicago has scored only 46 points this season, ranking 26th in the NFL and only five touchdowns (tied for 29th in the NFL).