Brachbill’s stellar start opens weekend series with a win

Totus Tuus Keely
Freshman pitcher Ty Brachbill stands on the mound on April 19 at Ralph McKinzie Field at Walt and Janice Owens Park. Brachbill pitched a complete game on Friday in a 2-1 victory over Central Michigan University. (Northern Star File Photo)

Freshman pitcher Ty Brachbill spun a complete game gem to take a crucial 2-1 series opening victory against Central Michigan University. 

BRACHBILL’S BEST PERFORMANCE

The freshman right hander shut down the Chippewas’ offense in Friday’s series opener, going nine innings of one-run ball with six strikeouts. This was the longest outing by an NIU pitcher this season, and Brachbill is the first freshman at NIU since 2018 to throw a complete game.

The only run Brachbill surrendered in the game came due to an error, so he was not charged with an earned run for the game. He is now the season leader in wins among pitchers for NIU with five, as he picked up two victories this week. 

Brachbill stranded two runners in scoring position in the ninth inning and sealed the victory with a strikeout of Central Michigan’s senior catcher/infielder Nick Dardas. 

Central Michigan’s opposing pitcher also had an impressive performance against the Huskies. Senior pitcher Ben Vitas pitched seven innings and only allowed one earned run. 

SLOW OFFENSES

The Huskies and Chippewas combined for three runs in nine innings, and the two teams had 12 hits between each other. 

The Huskies had eight hits on the game, with freshman outfielder Charlie Parcell being the only NIU hitter with multiple hits. 

NIU opened the scoring in the second inning when freshman catcher Cooper Cohn scored the first run on a double play hit by senior infielder Mason Kelley. 

The Chippewas went on to tie the game in the seventh inning, as an error by senior infielder Andre Demetral led to CMU’s first and only run. 

The Huskies answered right back, as junior outfielder CJ Cepicky put NIU in front for good in the top half of the eighth inning with an RBI single that scored Demetral. 

OFFENSIVE PRODUCERS

Cepicky’s game-winning base hit was his only hit in the contest, finishing the game going 1-for-4 with an RBI.

Cohn reached base twice in Friday’s matchup against Central Michigan, going 1-for-3 with a single, a walk and a run scored. 

Senior infielders Jake Nelson and Eric Erato both picked up one hit at the top of the order for the game. 

“Today’s game had a playoff feel, with two desperate teams fighting to stay alive for postseason play and two really good arms on the mound there,” said NIU baseball head coach Ryan Copeland. “Ty was as good as it gets. He got better as the game went on. It’s a really good win on a Friday and what it’s supposed to feel like when you are playing baseball at a high level.”

UP NEXT

The Huskies continue their series against Central Michigan at noon CT on Saturday at Keilitz Field at Theunissen Stadium. Live stats will be available via SIDEARM Stats.