Zion Russell commits to Niagara University

Tim Dodge
Redshirt sophomore guard Zion Russell (10) attempts a free throw late in the second half of an NIU men’s basketball home game. Russell announced Sunday that he will be transferring to Niagara University. (Tim Dodge | Northern Star)

DeKALB – NIU redshirt sophomore guard Zion Russell announced his commitment to Niagara University for the 2024-25 season via Instagram Sunday. 

Russell is the fourth of seven 2023-24 Huskies that entered the transfer portal to find a new home. 

Sophomore forward Yanic Konan Niederhauser was the first, announcing his commitment to The Pennsylvania State University on April 15. Sophomore forward Xavier Amos (University of Wisconsin-Madison) and senior guard Keshawn Williams (Colorado State University) announced their commitments to their new schools on April 29.

After seeing limited playing time in 2021-22 and suffering a season-ending injury in 2022-23, Russell was the lone Huskie to appear in every game for NIU in 2023-24. Across his three seasons at NIU, Russell appeared in 64 games and made 14 starts.

Russell started in 13 of his 31 appearances in 2023-24, finishing the season with averages of 3.7 points per game and 2.4 rebounds per game. 

Russell’s best game at NIU came in his final game as a Huskie against the University at Buffalo on March 8. He scored a career-high 14 points, grabbed 6 rebounds, dished out 3 assists and nabbed 3 steals.