NIU men’s golf finishes third at 2024 MAC Championship

Then-sophomore Ben Sluzas watches his shot on May 16, 2023. NIU men’s golf finished its season tied for third place at the 2024 MAC Championship. (Northern Star File Photo)

NIU men’s golf wrapped up the 2024 spring season Sunday, tying for third place out of nine teams at the MAC Championship. Sophomore Ian Bruchhauser headlined the Huskies lineup, finishing in third place. 

“He (Bruchhauser) was really steady the entire week,” said NIU men’s golf head coach John Carlson. “One of the best performances of anyone in the field with 68 on Saturday and 66 today (Sunday). The top-three finish against this talented field certainly proves that he belongs.” 

Bruchhauser’s third place finish marked his best finish of the 2023-24 season. Bruchhauser opened the tournament shooting a 75. Improving in each of the next two rounds, he shot a 68 in the second round and 66 in the third round – tied for lowest score in the entire tournament. 

The Huskies played a consistent three rounds of golf, starting with a score of 288 in the first round. NIU shot 287 in the second round and rounded out the tournament shooting a 288 in the third round. 

Junior Ben Sluzas was NIU’s second golfer of the tournament, placing tied for ninth place. Sluzas opened the tournament with a score of 70 in the first round, followed by a second round score of 72. Sluzas finished the tournament shooting a 73 in the third round. 

Coming in at third on the Huskies lineup, junior Felix Krammer finished tied for 12th place. Krammer’s best score came in the first round after shooting a 69. Krammer closed the tournament shooting a 75 in the second round and a 74 in the third round. 

Freshman Craig Long II was fourth for the Huskies, placing tied for 22nd place. Long opened the tournament shooting a 76, but improved to 72 in the second round. Long completed the tournament shooting 75 in the third round. 

Rounding out the Huskies’ lineup, graduate student Zach Place finished tied for 36th in his last tournament with NIU. Place had a score of 74 in the first round, 80 in the second round and 77 in the third round. 

“Place has truly been a leader on our team the last two seasons,” Carlson said. “We’re gonna lose his leadership and work ethic.” 

The Huskies will return to action next fall.