Sluzas-led Huskies finish Hawkeye Invitational tied for 8th

Taylor Strnad
Then-sophomore Ben Sluzas watches his shot at the 2023 MAC Championship. Sluzas finished tied for 6th-place at the Hawkeye Invitational on Sunday as NIU men’s golf finished tied for eighth-place. (Northern Star File Photo)

NIU men’s golf wrapped-up the Hawkeye Invitational on Sunday tying for eighth-place out of 16 teams. 

Across the tournament the Huskies shot 851 strokes, finishing one-under par. NIU’s best frame of play was the first round, finishing with a score of 278. The Huskies finished the tournament shooting 292 in the second round and 281 in the third round. 

Junior Ben Sluzas headlined the Huskies lineup, tying for sixth place – his first top-10 placement since the VCU Shootout in the fall. Sluzas kicked off the tournament shooting a 67 in the first round – his best score of the tournament. Sluzas rounded out the tournament shooting a 73 in the second round and a 68 in the third round. 

Junior Felix Krammer and sophomore Ian Bruchhauser keyed the Huskies next two spots on the leaderboard, each tying for 21st place. The pair shot 213 strokes – even-par.

Krammer opened the tournament with a score of 69, proceeding to shoot 72 back-to-back in the remaining rounds. 

Bruchhauser shot back-to-back scores of 72 in the first two rounds and finished the tournament with a score of 69 in the third round. 

Freshman Craig Long II logged the Huskies’ fourth-best finish, tying for 57th place. Long shot a 70 in the first round, but shot a 76 in the second round. He finished the tournament shooting a 73 in the third round. 

Placing tied for 66th place, graduate student Zach Place rounded out the Huskies lineup. Place shot a 73 in the first round, followed by a 75 in the second round. Place closed the tournament shooting a 72. 

UP NEXT 

The Huskies’ next tournament is the Robert Kepler Intercollegiate, spanning from Friday through Sunday. The event is at the Ohio State University Scarlet Course in Columbus, Ohio.