SGA diversity director ready for ‘authentic change’

Academic affairs committee continues without director
Brandon Clark
Student Government Association members review their agenda on Sept. 22 at the SGA meeting in the Holmes Student Center. Political science major Alexandra Alcantar was named the new director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for the SGA committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Friday’s meeting. (Brandon Clark | Northern Star)

DeKALB – On Friday, the Student Government Association appointed senior political science major Alexandra Alcantar as the new director of SGA’s committee of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. 

Alcantar made her bid unopposed and shared a history of internships and credentials toward her role, including her status as a Newman Civic Fellow

The fellowship recognizes exceptional community-minded students who have been individually recommended by their university president or chancellor for their ability in public leadership.

“My past experiences have allowed me to see the importance of diversity, especially while advocating for others,” Alcantar said.

Alcantar completed an internship this summer at the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington, D.C., where she worked hand-in-hand with congressional leadership. 

Alcantar vowed to dig in for the long fight in her strides toward continued diversity efforts on campus. 

“I understand that change cannot happen overnight. Still, over time, we can help build an authentic institutional change,” Alcantar said. “Diversity is critical for higher education, especially if we want to maintain a culturally welcoming campus.”

Deputy Speaker Chris English openly expressed his support for Alcantar.

“The internship for summer is very prestigious and requires a lot of hard work and dedication,” English said. “It shows they can put in work where needed.”

However, not everyone came away victorious.

The SGA turned down senior sports management major Timothy Anderson for the director of academic affairs position.

Anderson emphasized a need to increase student retention rates and remind them of the real reason they came to college.

“Some people come to school for the wrong reasons – they just come to party,” Anderson said. “You’re paying all this money to get your education and need to graduate.”

The senators agreed with Anderson’s initiative, but the lack of a clear action plan failed to capture support. 

“He seems well put together, but the ideas aren’t there for me,” Senator Demetrios Anastopoulos said.SGA meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. on Fridays, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.