SGA appoints 4 new leadership roles

Brandon Clark
Kanaan Deer stands to the left of SGA Speaker Cole Hensley and SGA Deputy Speaker Chris English. Deer was appointed as SGA director of Greek Affairs during Friday’s SGA senate meeting. (Brandon Clark | Northern Star)

Editor’s Note: This title and piece has been revised to confirm that the SGA only appointed 2 Senator positions and the recent bill passed allows for Board of Election members the exception to abstain from reviewing potential candidates if the only affiliation between them is with the SGA. In addition, all student trustees and not only Student Trustee Tim Moore will be required to provide reports to the Senate twice per semester regarding the Board of Trustees.

DeKALB – The Student Government Association bolstered its ranks on Friday with the appointment of several key positions, including director of Greek Affairs, clerical staff, sergeant-at-arms and a new deputy treasurer. 

Kanaan Deer, a senior health sciences major, was appointed as the new SGA director of Greek Affairs. In his bid for the director position, Deer noted his leadership experience as the president of Omega Psi Phi, Iota Delta chapter, and advocated for more Greek involvement on campus, increased funding for housing and spreading resource awareness for students. 

SGA Senator Emmanuel “Manny” Corpuz, was appointed clerk of the Senate. The position is charged with keeping SGA meeting minutes, filing documents and assisting the speaker and deputy speaker. 

Although this is Corpuz’s first clerical position, he is already the SGA university housing representative. Corpuz is confident his experience will serve in his new role as clerk of the Senate. 

“This position requires attention to the details,” Corpuz said. “Being a clerk is a first-time experience; but in terms of SGA experience, I have been here for one semester, which is more than most of the SGA here.”

Corpuz received support from senators Albino “Bino” Rosales and Alexia Musgraves. 

“I know he’s someone who puts himself out there and tries new things,” Musgraves said. “I think he’ll do good.”

Senator Niko Bereolos was appointed the new Senate sergeant-at-arms. Under his new role, Bereolos will enforce all rules of the Senate including its Standing Rules, Standing Orders and rules for the regulation of the Senate and the commencement of its daily sessions. Bereolos reassured the SGA that he was comfortable with the enforcement aspect of the role as sergeant-at-arms for his bowling league. 

Deputy Speaker Chris English commended Bereolos for reaching out to him and learning the rules, procedures and requirements of the position before being appointed. 

Ryan Kramer, a sophomore finance major, was appointed SGA deputy treasurer. Kramer attributed his experience as the current treasurer for his fraternity, Phi Sigma Kappa, and his involvement in NIU’s Financial Management Association for his qualifications toward the position.

SGA RESTRUCTURES INTERNAL PROCEDURES

English introduced a bill allowing Board of Election members to review applications to its board from applicants who have already been in SGA. Under the current wording, the bill prevents board members from reviewing documents, discussion or debate, voting on and reviewing applications with any organizations they have had affiliation with. 

The bill now allows for board members to review applications if their only affiliation is with the SGA.

SGA’s meeting also included a bill to update software the senate uses and a resolution to require all student trustees to give a report to the Senate twice per semester concerning the Board of Trustees.

SGA meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. on Fridays, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.