Attend NIU Theatre performances

Ariyonna McGahee
The double door entrance to the Sally Stevens Players Theatre. Next to the door is the metal plaque that reads “The Sally, Sally Stevens Players Theatre” located in the Stevens Buildings. (Ariyonna McGahee | Northern Star)

NIU School of Theatre and Dance is constantly performing and hosting events, and NIU and DeKalb residents should take full advantage of its show-stopping numbers. Residents should attend theater performances, both to show support for the school and to get a unique experience.

From Shakespeare plays to dance concerts, the School of Theatre and Dance has something for everyone. 

This year’s productions include “Rage Play,” “Anxious People!” “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and more.

Student performers with ample talent, ambition and humor can make anybody’s night much better, as evidenced by their New Student Jamboree – a freshman showcase performance – on Sept. 14.  

The performances are free for NIU students and take place in the Stevens Building. 

“You might not get it, but that’s fine, but just appreciate it for what it is,” said MaKena Mueller, a first-year pursuing a bachelor of fine arts degree with an emphasis in acting.

By attending, the arts are supported, and a unique experience is shared among the audience. Theater is a great way for students to see stories told in a live-action setting, outside of film or television.  

Audiences should also be aware of mannerisms that are acceptable and not.

“To be a good audience member, mainly just, like, be respectful of the space,” Mueller said. “Don’t scream like ‘I know that actor, I know that actress.’ That’s annoying, and it totally takes you out of that space and everyone around you out of that space of ‘I’m watching a show.’”

Additionally, Roxanna Conner, NIU School of Theatre and Dance director, said audiences should keep an open headspace during performances. 

“Be present in the performance. This is an opportunity for you to experience, as an audience member, something that only the people in that particular room will experience together,” Conner said. 

The role of community in the School of Theatre and Dance was noted by Mueller and Conner. 

“Based on what I’ve experienced in the interview process and what I’ve seen in the hallways of Stevens and Gabel (Hall) and my interactions with our students and faculty, is that what’s really special are the people and how much they care about the work that we are doing and their dedication to diversity, equity and belonging,” Conner said.

Mueller noted the sense of community that professors discuss between the theatre program, NIU and DeKalb.

With the variety of shows taking place this semester and this year, students need to consider attending at least one performance. The hours of auditions, rehearsals and time spent developing the set need to be recognized by everyone. 

If theater is not appreciated or continued on a collegiate level, there is a risk of losing the industry, and the world would be significantly discounted without this art form.

NIU’s School of Theatre and Dance is well worth the time of students, staff, faculty and the DeKalb community. If community members have time to attend a sporting event and honor the coaches, players and employees, then they also have time to attend a performance and honor the actors, crew and directors.