Women’s soccer extends win streak in third consecutive shutout

Melody Elbel
Graduate forward Sahara Zingano (22) speeds toward the Toledo goal with control of the ball. On Sept. 24, the Huskies tied with Toledo 1-1. (Melody Elbel | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Graduate student forward Sahara Zingano played hero for NIU women’s soccer on Sunday as she scored the lone goal of a 1-0 senior day victory over Miami University.

Zingano scored on a penalty kick in the 50th minute, a goal that pushed the Huskies’ win streak to three games. This is the first time since 2007 that NIU women’s soccer has won three straight MAC matchups.

“Wasn’t my best game today, but I’m glad I could execute for the team,” Zingano said. “Being in those positions, you gotta put your emotions aside and put the team first. I want to make sure I execute the best I can.”

DEFENSIVE CLINIC

The RedHawks and Huskies tied for total shots with 8. Miami edged NIU in shots on goal 5-4, but could not convert any opportunities on the offensive end.

Junior forward Taylor Hamlett led the RedHawks in shots and shots on goals with three of each. Only two other Miami players recorded shots on goal.

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Sadie McGill turned in a dominant performance in front of the net, recording five saves on eight shots faced.

Sunday’s game marked the Huskies’ third straight match in which they’ve shut out their opponent.

“Sadie’s been instrumental to our success this year,” said NIU women’s soccer head coach Michael O’Neill. “She’s had her fair few shutouts this year, and it’s all by no surprise. She worked hard for this moment and for this season. I’m glad she’s getting to end her career on a high end.”

McGill praised her teammates’ defensive effort and credited them for complimenting her performance.

“I think I couldn’t have done it without my defense,” McGill said. “The organization and the communication has been a lot better in these past couple weeks …  Overall, that just helps make my job a lot easier.”

CHIPPY CONTEST

The Huskies battled through a physical game that saw four total yellow cards and 31 fouls between the two teams.

Zingano commended her team’s resiliency in the face of adversity.

“We’re never going to back down from a fight,” Zingano said. “We kept giving it to them, they kept giving it to us. It’s those 50/50 battles that win us the game. I’m glad that a lot of us didn’t back down from those moments because when we shy away, I think that’s when we lose games.”

NOT DONE YET

With five games of conference play remaining, the Huskies sit in sixth place in the MAC standings.

Zingano spoke about the team’s mindset when approaching the rest of the season.

“We’re focused,” Zingano said. “Every practice brings a new challenge. I think, sometimes it might not be your best practice, sometimes you have good practices. But, everybody knows what the goal is, and being able to take care of yourself in those hard moments and in practice is what’s making us better as a team.”

UP NEXT

The Huskies will face the University at Buffalo for their next match at 1 p.m. Thursday at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex. The game will be streamed on NIU All-Access, and live stats will be available via SideArm Stats.