Huskies win second straight in shutout of Eastern Michigan

Melody Elbel
Freshman forward Tyra King (5) heads the ball toward sophomore defender Angelina Briggs (9) and senior defender Abby Adams during the Huskies’ Sunday game against Toledo. On Sunday, the Huskies tied with Toledo 1-1. (Melody Elbel | Northern Star)

The Huskies found success in a 2-0 shutout win against Eastern Michigan University, extending their win streak to two games.

With the win, NIU improved to 2-2-1 in conference, good for seventh place in the MAC. Eastern Michigan fell to ninth in the MAC with a conference record of 1-2-2.

After a five minute delay due to weather, the Huskies returned to Scicluna Field in Ypsilanti, Michigan, to defeat the Eagles.

“I think that was a really good performance from start to finish,” said NIU women’s soccer head coach Michael O’Neill in an NIU Athletics press release. “Obviously, the conditions did not help with the game being delayed and the start-and-stop. But the focus remained and I think this was our best game and the best performance of the season.”

Junior defender Lea Gruennagel found the back of the Eagles’ net in the 26th minute to make the score 1-0. 

In the 60th minute, junior forward Edith Delgado scored on an assist from graduate forward Sahara Zingano. 

DOMINANCE ON BOTH SIDES

The Huskies outshot EMU with a total of six shots in the first half and two on goal. NIU recorded six shots on goal in the second half.

EMU had one shot on goal in the first half, and three shots in the second half, one of which was on goal.

Zingano had five shots, two of which were on goal. Freshman forward Tyra King was the only other player who tallied two shots on goal. 

EMU freshman forward Cameryn Susey had one shot on goal in the first half, and sophomore defender Mary Grimes also recorded one shot on goal during the second half.

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Sadie McGill didn’t have a busy day in front of the net, saving just two shots on four shots faced.

UP NEXT

The Huskies play Miami University at 1 p.m. Sunday at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex.