Back in black: Huskies to host CMU, EMU in home opener

Morreale: ‘It’s going to take our best meet of the year’
Dena Martz
Senior Olivia Lynd and the rest of the Huskie gymnasts make their entrance to a Jan. 13 meet against Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio. NIU gymnastics is set to compete in a tri-meet against Central Michigan University and Eastern Michigan University on Sunday. (Courtesy of Dena Martz)

DeKALB – Fresh off a record-setting outing its last time out, NIU gymnastics prepares to host a pair of Michigan-based MAC foes in its first home showcase of the season Sunday.

NIU (2-3-1, 1-0 MAC) will welcome defending conference champion Central Michigan University (3-2, 1-0 MAC) and Eastern Michigan University (1-3, 0-1 MAC) to the Convocation Center for its “Black Out Meet.”

Faced with lofty competition, head coach Sam Morreale said his team has little room for error, with every move from landings to bobbles counting.

“It’s going to take our best meet of the year,” Morreale said.

The Huskies head into Sunday’s tri-meet with a hot hand after posting their highest team score in program history with a 196.400 at the Tennessee Collegiate Classic Friday.

Though the meet was NIU’s first step into uncharted scoring territory for the program, Morreale recognizes his team’s latest achievement as a building block for a higher standard.

“It’s just a step in where we’re trying to get to; it’s not the destination,” Morreale said. “The hope is we use it to continue to build and get better at what we’re doing.”

A BRUSH WITH THE CHAMPS

Charged with defending its conference title for the second year running, Central Michigan enters Sunday’s meet as the team to beat. The Chippewas sit just above .500 after dispatching rival Eastern Michigan 195.825-194.500 in a dual meet Friday. 

CMU has historically been a challenging opponent for NIU, leading the all-time series 56-12-1. Recently, the Huskies have won just one of their past seven bouts with the Chippewas.

FLYING WITH THE EAGLES

Rounding out the meet’s three-team field is an Eastern Michigan squad that entered the win column for the first time this season Sunday. The Eagles trounced the University of Wisconsin-Stout 195.325-191.750 in a dual meet.

NIU has triumphed over the Eagles for the better part of two decades, the former leading 13-7 in meetings dating back to March 2003.

HOME ADVANTAGE

In addition to their objective of pulling out a statement win, the Huskies will aim to continue their unbeaten home winning streak.

NIU has won its past three home openers and hasn’t suffered a loss at home since Feb. 25, 2022 after going at perfect 6-0 in the Convocation Center in 2023.

Competition will commence at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Convocation Center. The meet will be broadcast on ESPN+. Admission to all NIU home meets is free.