Illinois gas prices continue to drop

Tim Dodge
A gas pump sits in front of a gas station on a sunny day. Gas prices are down nearly 75 cents from Oct. 2022. (Tim Dodge | Northern Star)

Compared to this time last year, the average gas price per gallon of gas in Illinois is 74.7 cents lower today, according to GasBuddy

The average price of gas in Illinois is $3.65 per gallon today, with the national average being $3.66 per gallon. 

Throughout the last week, gas prices in Illinois have dropped by 11.5 cents per gallon. Nationally, gas prices are down by 11.9 cents on average over the last week. 

Gas prices in Illinois have a wide range, with the highest being $4.99 per gallon and the lowest being $2.98 per gallon. 

The averages in nearby towns are consistent with the state average. In Champaign, the average price per gallon is $3.62. Peoria’s average is $3.65 per gallon. 

Even the price of diesel has decreased, with GasBuddy reporting that the national average price of diesel going down by as much as 4 cents per gallon. The average price is $4.48 per gallon. 

“At long last, the decline in gas prices that we’ve been waiting to see has arrived, and the locomotive of falling prices has only recently started on a downhill, gaining momentum, “ said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy.