Illinois mandates clear distinction of alcoholic beverages

Bottles of alcohol sit on a grocery store shelf. Illinois is now mandating that alcoholic beverages are clearly labeled and stocked in a way that does not mislead consumers about their alcohol content. (Courtesy of Getty Images)

To prevent confusion between alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages in retail stores, the Illinois Liquor Control Commission implemented a fixed rule on Sept. 21, regulating the placement of co-branded alcoholic beverages on Illinois sales floors.

Any alcoholic beverage with logos, packaging or names similar to non-alcoholic drinks is defined as “co-branded,” and the new rule applies to any establishment selling packaged alcohol for off-premise use in Illinois.

“Mistaking alcoholic beverages for non-alcoholic beverages is especially dangerous for minors and individuals with alcohol use disorders,” said Illinois Liquor Control Commission Executive Director Lisa Gardner in a press release. “This rule aims to safeguard the Illinois public health by preventing product confusion while prohibiting alcohol marketing that may appeal to children.”

Under the new provision, Illinois establishments with retail sales floors exceeding 2,500 square feet must not display co-branded alcoholic drinks immediately next to bottled water, soft drinks or fruit juices. The new rule also applies to snack foods displaying images appealing to children.

Establishments up to and under 2,500 square feet must comply with the same regulations, or they can display clear signage on every display featuring an alcoholic beverage adjacent to a non-alcoholic beverage.

The new rule replaces a similar Emergency Rule filed by the ILCC on May 26, 2023, and expires on Oct. 23, 2023. Emergency Rules are temporary and handle an immediate threat to the public interest, safety or welfare.

Establishments can download the required signage on the ILCC website and contact [email protected] with further questions.