Fall into love with fall festivities

A huskie statue painted in blue overalls stands outside Jonamac Orchard. The Orchard has many fall activities for the public to enjoy such as apple picking and a corn maze. (Sarah Rose | Northern Star)

Fall is here, and it is time to indulge in some fun festivities. DeKalb County is ready to bring in the season with these fall-themed activities to do with friends and family. 

October is in its final stretch of gearing towards the pinnacle of the spooky season – Halloween. While the weather is getting colder, that doesn’t stop the fun. DeKalb County is hosting a series of fall related events to keep the seasons cheer afloat.

JONAMAC ORCHARD

Calling all Huskies to the farm on Oct. 15. Jonamac Orchard, 19412 Shabbona Rd. Malta, will be hosting their Fall Festival with a $2 discount to students wearing Huskie gear. The orchard has an apple picking and a pumpkin patch along with a flower field and campfire site. Jonamac is hosting events all month long to attend.

Jonamac’s Cider House bakes fresh treats everyday. 

“The best snacks at Jonamac are the apple donuts,” said Aleida Wilkinson, a staff member at Jonamac. “I like to go visit the haunted corn maze and visit the cider house after hours.” 

Huskies can indulge in apple cider and apple donuts at the Cider House after hours before hitting the corn mazes. There will also be a daytime corn maze and haunted corn maze that is available at night to guests.  

EGYPTIAN THEATRE

For the horror film fanatics, the Egyptian Theatre in downtown DeKalb will host a horror film series, showing a different horror film, showing a different horror film every Tuesday of October. The films that will be shown are “The Thing,” “The Shining” and “Halloween.” The showtimes start at 7 p.m. each week.

Tickets start at $10 for adults and $8 for students. For those who are friends of an Egyptian Theatre member, they can receive a $2 discount. 

AARC

Join the Asian American Resource Center on Oct. 17 in the MLK Commons as they will be celebrating their fall festival. The festival will have food and special performances along with activities for students to participate in. The festival will take place from 5 p.m.o 7 p.m. Stop by the table set up by AARC to see what other events they host. 

PUMPKIN FESTIVAL

Sycamore’s 62nd annual Pumpkin Festival is happening Oct. 25 to Oct. 29 in downtown Sycamore. This year’s theme for the town’s beloved tradition of pumpkin carving is “Pumpkins of History.” The pumpkin carving activities will take place on the courthouse yard and the surrounding Sycamore town square. 

“In Sycamore, Pumpkin Fest is a big deal. Everyone comes home from college, everyone has the day off school and we just celebrate the town,” said Hadil Mohamendor, senior biology major and Sycamore native. “I am excited to get some cinnamon bread from Elleson’s Bakery. It’s my favorite snack at the festival.”

The pumpkin carving contest designs will be displayed on the courthouse steps. There will also be a carnival taking place Friday through Sunday. The festival will finish with a parade on Sunday down Main Street and State Street.

Be sure to grab a cup of Jonamac’s apple cider, throw on your huskie gear and enjoy the pumpkin filled activities in store this fall.