DeKalb County Veterans receive new funding

The DeKalb County Veterans Recognition Fund committee stand in front of the DeKalb Veterans Memorial (from left): Mike Coghlan, Ron Lofton, Michael Embrey, Jerry Smith, and Paul Jerde. The fund will support the DeKalb County Veterans group honor veterans. (Courtesy of the DeKalb County Community Foundation)

DeKALB – A DeKalb veterans group is getting new funding for memorial projects.

The DeKalb County Veterans Recognition Fund was announced by the DeKalb County Community Foundation. The fund will allow the DeKalb County Veterans group to do work honoring veterans. 

Michael Embrey, a committee member of the fund, said there is always more the community can do to support and honor its veterans. 

“Many gave their lives for something greater than themselves, our freedom. Saying ‘thank you for your service’ is a good start. We desire to do even more, embracing all of DeKalb County,” Embrey said. 

The group has already completed projects like the downtown DeKalb veteran recognition banner project, the “Vets Way” street designation and the restoration of the downtown DeKalb Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Clock, according to a press release by the DeKalb County Community Foundation. 

The city of DeKalb was recognized as the “Most veteran friendly city in the U.S.” by the veterans organization 40&8, an honor society of American veterans and service members.

“We strive to increase the community’s awareness of veterans’ needs and issues,” said Tom Pisapia, a veteran group member. “This Fund is the first endowment of its kind in DeKalb County. We hope others will join us to grow this fund and its impact.”

Donations to the fund can be made on the DeKalb County Community Foundation website. More information about the fund can be found on the DeKalb County Veterans website.