DeKalb County students receive $196,000 in scholarships

A DeKalb High School student walks across stage to receive the DHS Alumni Scholarship award. This DeKalb student, along with 136 others in the county, earned scholarships from the DeKalb County Community Foundation. (Courtesy of the DeKalb County Community Foundation)

DeKALB – 137 DeKalb County students were awarded with over $196,000 in scholarship funds in 2023.

The DeKalb County Community Foundation partners with local organizations and philanthropists in redistributing charitable assets through DeKalb County.

College students from Kishwaukee Community College and Northern Illinois University received $19,665 and $46,487 respectively from 44 awards, according to the DeKalb County Community Foundation.

Most of the awarded scholarships from the DCCF are administered and selected for high schools. High school graduates of 2023 from DeKalb County were awarded $141,022 in scholarship funds. 

A combined $55,495 was distributed to DeKalb County high school graduates pursuing master’s or higher level degrees, non-traditional students and multi-year scholarship recipients seeking undergraduate degrees.

This year the DCCF established five new scholarships including the Cindy Graves Nursing Scholarship, DHS Alumni Scholarship and the YEP Changemakers Scholarship.

Donors can establish scholarships to memorialize loved ones, support niche academic interests, celebrate personal success or for a variety of reasons.

For information on finding or applying for scholarships, visit the DeKalb County Community Foundation website.